• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting Eris without trackball scrolling up/down

:DFINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EU1, once again you saved another Eris user from throwing his phone across the room. The file I was downloading was corrupted. Once I downloaded the one you linked here in this thread, everything worked as beautifully as you said in the other threads.

Thank you everyone on Android Forums!!!!! Especially erisuser1!
My phone is now applying the July OTA update. When I get my replacement phone, I will be rooting it because I now have the tools to return it to stock if need be, and I have the great support of the people on this forum.

I will probably be downloading the update.zip file to install the July update again if after I root the next phone, the trackball stops working again and I need to unroot it but the July update is no longer on the servers.

Thanks again!!!!!

Whew!

That is a really good idea about keeping a copy of everything you would need to unroot - maybe even print (to PDF) some of the instructional posts from here on AF or XDA - same thing for rooting, too.

Good luck with the replacement phone.

Reactions: eddieb1983
Upvote 0
i got my new phone last night, and bet my roomate that it would be rooted and back to my old setup before we got home. i won. it was pretty simple, i used astro to install the root app, rooted, used astro to move my nand backup to the new folder, restored and i was done. its pretty simple to get back to normal after returning to stock too

Upvote 0
i got my new phone last night, and bet my roomate that it would be rooted and back to my old setup before we got home. i won. it was pretty simple, i used astro to install the root app, rooted, used astro to move my nand backup to the new folder, restored and i was done. its pretty simple to get back to normal after returning to stock too

Please tell me you didn't do that while you were also doing the driving :p :D

Did he have to pay off the bet with dinero or mota? :D

Upvote 0
Eris1

Need your help badly...

I rooted to 2.2 Kaosfroyo and I am trying to go back to 2.1. I have placed the PB00IMG.zip into the root of the SD..

When holding the VOL DOWN and POWER, I get the NO IMAGE or WRONG IMAGE message...

I have checked the filename and even downloaded the file again from the link you posted within this forum....

Please help and thanks in advance!!!

Scott

**UPDATE....Phn just displayed a message MAIN VERSION IS OLDER: UPDATE FAIL!

Do you want to reboot your device?

Upvote 0
**UPDATE....Phn just displayed a message MAIN VERSION IS OLDER: UPDATE FAIL!

Do you want to reboot your device?

Which PB00IMG.ZIP ROM file are you using? Is it the Leak-V3 version that was mentioned in the posts above?

If it was not (for instance if it was the "Root PB00IMG.ZIP" or the PB00IMG.ZIP file from the MR2 release), then that "Main Version is Older" message would be expected.

It's a little bit unexpected if you used the Leak-V3 ROM. However, all is not lost: if you follow the instructions in the XDA thread How to Flash any RUU first, you should be able to successfully perform the exact step you just attempted, but without the "Main Version is Older" message.

Also - note that there was probably something wrong with your first couple of attempts, just like eddie had trouble (either you named the file wrong or it was corrupted): You should see the entire ZIP file get unpacked for about 1 minute before any errors are thrown - even when the "Main Version is Older" message is produced.

eu1

Upvote 0
Hi Eris:

I am trying to use the Leak-V3 rom...I am trying to use the RUU, but I am always getting errors and it will not go...I think it is because I am not setting up the phone into CORRECT USB mode.

I do power up the phone, and set it into USB mode, but when it reboots into BOOTLOADER mode, it disconnects from USB and when it attempts to boot back, the USB driver has to reload into windows and by the time that happens the RUU times out and fails.

I do see the blue bar in the upper right working and then when it gets past that point I get the "Main Version is Older" message.

When trying to enter in these codes at the command prompt:

adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
adb push misc.img /data/local/misc.img
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/flash_image

I am getting the following message: 'adb' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc misc.img

Upvote 0
Hi Eris:

I am trying to use the Leak-V3 rom...I am trying to use the RUU, but I am always getting errors and it will not go...I think it is because I am not setting up the phone into CORRECT USB mode.

I do power up the phone, and set it into USB mode, but when it reboots into BOOTLOADER mode, it disconnects from USB and when it attempts to boot back, the USB driver has to reload into windows and by the time that happens the RUU times out and fails.

I do see the blue bar in the upper right working and then when it gets past that point I get the "Main Version is Older" message.

When trying to enter in these codes at the command prompt:

adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
adb push misc.img /data/local/misc.img
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/flash_image

I am getting the following message: 'adb' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc misc.img

The RUU utility generally won't work with dev ROMs because of a difference in the "reboot" command (for some ROMs), and also because (I think) the RUU utility also does a lot of version checks as well.

The "adb" commands require that you:

- Download and unpack the Android SDK
- Install drivers on the PC to handle the ADB Composite Interface (If you have already run the RUU, you probably have the drivers installed already).

and finally, if you don't put the SDK "tools" folder in your PATH variable, you will need to CD (Change Directory) to the SDK tools folder (and put those files from the XDA thread in the same folder)

Hope that explanation helps - I am typing quickly.

eu1

Upvote 0
I am in the process of installing the SDK program as per the other forum, do I need that running in order to do the above commands at the command prompt?

This is all new to me so just bear with me...I am trying...lol....thanks a million!!

No, you don't need it running. You may not even need Eclipse and all that junk - just unpack the SDK. I think you might have a USB driver in place already because the RUU utilities tend to install drivers.

eu1

Note: I unpacked the SDK into C:\android, so the tools folder (in my case) is at

C:\android\android-sdk_r06\tools

Upvote 0
Scott,

The other thing that occurred to me the other night is that because of the similarities between the Stock HTC (pre- July 2010 OTA) 2.1 release and some of the very early "almost stock" ROMs, such as Ivanmmj's "Official 1.0 OC", or the original (jcase) Plain Jane ROM, there is an outside chance that the "Official RUU" might actually run to completion

If you are still able to flash dev ROMs, you could try loading one of those, and then (afterwards) try the RUU utility. I haven't tried this to test it out, but it certainly won't do any harm.

BTW, you didn't say why you hollered "Help!" - trackball issue, some other reason why you need to return the phone - or you just don't like root?

eu1

Upvote 0
I have the the ANDROID SDK folder on my desktop and see the addons, tools, platforms, samples folders within that dir....

Once the SDK is installed, will a new dir be in the PROGRAM FILES section, or where I have it is ok?

As I said (above), I don't think you need to "install" the SDK - just unzip it's contents, and try running the command

adb devices

From the command line (when you have CD'ed to the tools folder, or are sure that the "tools" folder is in your PATH).

You need to turn on USB debugging in the OS (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging) and plug the phone in to the PC. Make sure the phone is well charged before you do any of this.

eu1

Upvote 0
This is my mother's Eris and I have one as well...I love my 2.2, but you know mom's and how they hate CHANGE.....I even asked her ARE YOU SURE THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO....and of course I am now am where I am....lol.....So I think you get the picture...

Well, that tells me about your relationship with your mother, but says nothing about the phone.

Is it working?

What ROM is on it?

Is the Amon_RA recovery on the phone and verified to be working?

What bootloader version is on the phone?

eu1

Upvote 0
EU:

If you have an IM program..do me a favor and send me an IM so we do not clog up this forum anymore than I already have...Will make life much easier if we talk live...

As for the cmd screen:

C:\Users\Scott\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26

-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
returns an error if more than one USB device is
present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
devices - list all connected devices
connect <host>:<port> - connect to a device via TCP/IP
disconnect <host>:<port> - disconnect from a TCP/IP device

device commands:
adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
(no option) - don't touch the data partition
-w - wipe the data partition
-d - flash the data partition

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
[parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
is updated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones