• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting EVO

Did you download either one of these:

5.07.651.1 Stock Rooted (Throwback-style) - Version 2.3 - Deodexed | Mirror
5.07.651.1 Stock Rooted (Throwback-style) - Version 2.3 - Odexed | Mirror

(posted here are not links, just copy/pasted)

5.07.651.1 Stock Rooted (Throwback-style) - Version 2.3 - Deodexed | Mirror

That one.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
ok that is a decent recovery. unfortunately i never had tried it before. but it is based off of amon ra which is good.

ok lets try and reflash the rom. this time lets wipe everything except for the sd card (i would also do this three times). flash superwipe and then re-flash the rom.

Nothing. Still black screen after htc evo (white)

And I did follow the steps. Wiped out everything 3x but the SD Card, flashed superwipe and re-flash the rom. Still nothing.

Upvote 0
Reactions: XSlashDashX
Upvote 0
yes but for now remove it from the sd card.

so i have outlined the process on how to unroot your phone here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

there is an unrooting section in the second post. please read very carefully first and feel free to ask as many questions as you need. we will be here if you need help.

Where would I create the folder "Android" at? Also I'm running on Windows XP. Had to download the "Open Command Here" from Microsoft.

Upvote 0
and you have usb debugging enabled along with setting the phone to charge only, right?

Haha, opps. Had Disk Drive for charge only. Also, mine shows this:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\android>adb shell
sh-3.2# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
sh-3.2# chmod 755 /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
sh-3.2# /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
sh-3.2#

That correct?

Upvote 0
Haha, opps. Had Disk Drive for charge only. Also, mine shows this:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\android>adb shell
sh-3.2# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
sh-3.2# chmod 755 /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
sh-3.2# /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
sh-3.2#

That correct?
not sure on this part sh-3.2#. never seen that before. but other then that it looks like it went thru correct.

now try the PC36IMG ruu

Upvote 0
Updating now. Will phone die going through this process? It's still connected to my Computer.

its possible. i always make sure that i have at least 50% battery before trying any of these kind of things. you could brick the phone while it is updating and then the battery dies. hopefully you have enough to go thru this.

Reactions: XSlashDashX
Upvote 0
its possible. i always make sure that i have at least 50% battery before trying any of these kind of things. you could brick the phone while it is updating and then the battery dies. hopefully you have enough to go thru this.

I could never tell what % my battery was. I'll charge it from like 15% and it'll jump to 80% if I turn it off and then turn the phone back on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones