• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting Guide for the Evo 4G LTE

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Unrooting Your Evo 4G LTE

unroot.jpg
    Ok so you want to unroot your phone. If it is to take your phone in to get it serviced from Sprint, then let me start by saying that Sprint has changed their policy on rooted phones. It is something that they have not really advertised nor will they mention it. As long as your issue is not software related caused by rooting or flashing errors and it is hardware related then you should be fine.

Here is a story from a developer who put the new policy to the test:
    Sprint Policy Put to the Test

Before proceeding i must give credit where credit is due: so thanx goes to Regaw, viperboy, and captain throwback. You guys rock and do amazing things.

Disclaimer:
    I nor AF are NOT responsible for you blowing your phone up. I am just a guide showing you the way. If you stray from the path, that is not my fault. Only you can prevent forest fires;)

I will go into detail on how to get your phone setup so that it can be serviced without any issues including how to unroot the phone if that is what you wish.

so here is what you can do:
    1. Flash a stock rom
    2. Re-locking and running a RUU
    3. RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer
    4. Unroot using RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility

1. Flashing a Stock(rooted) Rom[S-ON/S-OFF ONLY]
    Ok so the easiest way to take your phone in is to flash the stock rooted rom. This will not remove the watermark, however.

Here is what you do:
    1. You will need to download this rom:[ROM][OFFICIAL][12/18]Stock Rooted 3.15.651.16 Odex/Deodex.
    2. Next transfer the file over to the sd card.
    3. Make a nandroid backup
    4. Wipe dalvik cache, cache, factory reset, and system
    5. Flash the rom

If you have not flashed a rom before then please go here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...ide-lazypanda-racun-unlocked.html#post4851453. Skip to the second post for more details on how to flash a rom.
    2. Re-locking and Running a RUU[S-ON ONLY]
    Ok not sure if you want to do this or not as it will not hide the watermark, when you do this. This method will re-lock the bootloader. However, it will say at the top of the bootloader "re-locked" and that is a dead giveaway that it was rooted at one point(again, not that it matters to Sprint).

Anyways if you want to continue on then here is what you will need to do:
    First off let me explain on what a ruu is. RUU stands for rom update utility. It is how we can update the phone and is similar to taking an OTA. They can be found in two forms a PJ75IMG file or in a ruu.exe file. Both files will need a locked or re-locked bootloader in order for it to work.

Also since these files update the phone, you have to make sure that you use the right file or you will get the "hboot version is older"(something to that effect). You can go here: AndroidFiles RUU find your radio version and download it.

OK ready?
    Re-locking the Bootloader
    You will need to use the same folder that you used to unlock the bootloader. But if you do not have the files anymore you can download these files and put it in a folder(i call it android, but you can name it whatever you want):

1. On the phone boot it into the bootloader and then select fastboot
    2. On you pc open the command window from the folder
    3. Enter this command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem relock
    4. Proceed to running the ruu, if your bootloader says "re-locked"

Running the RUU
    1. Download the correct RUU file that matches your radio
    2. Connect your phone to the pc via USB cable
    3. On your phone, make sure that you have:
    • HTC Sync installed
    • USB debugging turned on
    • Set the phone to charge only
    3. Run the RUU.exe file and it should do the work for you.

Check to see if you have a stock rom, if so then congrats!!!!!
    3. RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer[S-OFF ONLY]
    This utility will give you the ability to change the watermark on your bootloader to whatever you want it to be. Meaning instead of unlocked you can make it so it says locked. This will also remove the watermark that is also found in the splashscreen.

regaw_leinad said:
    Description
    RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer is a utility for Windows that allows the
    user to create a PJ75IMG.zip containing a custom bootloader image.
    With this program, you are able to edit the text on the pink banner at the top
    (***LOCKED*** in stock or ---LazyPanda--- in custom),
    change the S-OFF to S-ON, and hide/customize the splash screen disclaimer.

Choosing the "Stock Look" option is just like relocking your bootloader
    and flashing the stock bootloader without having to do either of them! Very easy!

This program will NOT flash the zip for you, but it will allow you to save it to your computer to let you flash the zip yourself.
    The process (flashing a new bootloader) is dangerous and may possibly brick your device if done incorrectly. You have been warned.

Here is the original thread: [UTILITY | S-OFF] RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer 3.1.1 | Updated 07.04.12

You should be on a stock rom, however, as this will not change anything but how the bootloader will look. This will not affect your root status.
    4. Unroot W/RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility[S-OFF ONLY]
    If you have s-off and want to change it back to s-on then this will now work with the latest hboots now.

here is the original thread:
    [GUIDE] S-ON After LazyPanda/DirtyRacun S-OFF | Back to Completely Stock

Rather then go into specifics on how to do this, i will go into the basics. For more details, please go to regaw's thread.

RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility is basically two steps after you get everything setup as described in the guide:
    1. Run a ruu or PJ75IMG file to get you back to stock
    2. Run the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility

now the ruu and PJ75IMG files are older you will need to use these files:

1. For all of the current ruu's go to Unlimited.IO. the latest ruu's are listed there.
    2. For PJ75IMG ruu:PJ75IMG_Jewel_firmware_2.13.651.1. This will not work with the latest hboot.

After you run the ruu make sure that you have usb debugging turned on. All you will need to do next is run the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility .exe file and follow directions.

Again i just want to re-iterate that most places do not care about being rooted, especially if it is hardware related. If the issue was because of a bad flash then you are on your own.

So rest assured the above methods will be adequate enough to take your phone in with no issues. Which one? That will be up to you.

Now go forth and get your unroot on:D

Unrooting Your Evo 4G LTE

unroot.jpg
    Ok so you want to unroot your phone. If it is to take your phone in to get it serviced from Sprint, then let me start by saying that Sprint has changed their policy on rooted phones. It is something that they have not really advertised nor will they mention it. As long as your issue is not software related caused by rooting or flashing errors and it is hardware related then you should be fine.

Here is a story from a developer who put the new policy to the test:
    Sprint Policy Put to the Test

Before proceeding i must give credit where credit is due: so thanx goes to Regaw, viperboy, and captain throwback. You guys rock and do amazing things.

Disclaimer:
    I nor AF are NOT responsible for you blowing your phone up. I am just a guide showing you the way. If you stray from the path, that is not my fault. Only you can prevent forest fires;)

I will go into detail on how to get your phone setup so that it can be serviced without any issues including how to unroot the phone if that is what you wish.

so here is what you can do:
    1. Flash a stock rom
    2. RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer
    3. Unroot using RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility

1. Flashing a Stock(rooted) Rom
    Ok so the easiest way to take your phone in is to flash the stock rooted rom. This will not remove the watermark, however.

Here is what you do:
    1. You will need to download this rom:[ROM][OFFICIAL][12/18]Stock Rooted 3.15.651.16 Odex/Deodex.
    2. Next transfer the file over to the sd card.
    3. Make a nandroid backup
    4. Wipe dalvik cache, cache, factory reset, and system
    5. Flash the rom

If you have not flashed a rom before then please go here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...ide-lazypanda-racun-unlocked.html#post4851453. Skip to the second post for more details on how to flash a rom.
    2. RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer
    This utility will give you the ability to change the watermark on your bootloader to whatever you want it to be. Meaning instead of unlocked you can make it so it says locked. This will also remove the watermark that is also found in the splashscreen.

Here is the original thread: [UTILITY | S-OFF] RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer 3.1.1 | Updated 07.04.12

You should be on a stock rom, however, as this will not change anything but how the bootloader will look. This will not affect your root status.
    3. Unroot using RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility
    If you have s-off and want to change it back to s-on then this will now work with the latest hboots now.

here is the original thread:
    [GUIDE] S-ON After LazyPanda/DirtyRacun S-OFF | Back to Completely Stock

Rather then go into specifics on how to do this, i will go into the basics. For more details, please go to regaw's thread.

RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility is basically two steps after you get everything setup as described in the guide:
    1. Run a ruu or PJ75IMG file to get you back to stock
    2. Run the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility

now the ruu and PJ75IMG files are older you will need to use these files:

1. For all of the current ruu's go to Unlimited.IO. the latest ruu's are listed there.
    2. For PJ75IMG ruu:PJ75IMG_Jewel_firmware_2.13.651.1. This will not work with the latest hboot.

After you run the ruu make sure that you have usb debugging turned on. All you will need to do next is run the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility .exe file and follow directions.
    4. Flash stock rooted rom & re-lock the bootloader[S-ON Only]
    This method will give you a stock rooted rom and a re-locked bootloader. The watermark will now say re-locked rather then unlocked.

to do this:
    First you will need to flash a stock rom. Please see section 1 if you do not know how to flash a rom(stock).

1. You will need the android folder you created when you used the HTCdev method to unlock your bootloader.
    2. On your phone go to your bootloader and select fastboot.
    3. Open the command window with the path pointing to the android folder. The easiest way is to right click while holding shift down (windows 7/windows 8) on the android folder and select open command prompt here.
    4. In the command window type:
    [HIGH]fastboot oem lock[/HIGH]
    5. The phone should reboot and now you have a locked bootloader.
    Again i just want to re-iterate that most places do not care about being rooted, especially if it is hardware related. If the issue was because of a bad flash then you are on your own.

So rest assured the above methods will be adequate enough to take your phone in with no issues. Which one? That will be up to you.

Now go forth and get your unroot on:D

So I followed all steps perfectly, and my phone will not reboot out of bootloader - It is now relocked and I have the RUU installed - what am I missing here?

Upvote 0
    So I followed all steps perfectly, and my phone will not reboot out of bootloader - It is now relocked and I have the RUU installed - what am I missing here?

You flashed the RUU correct?

If the phone won't boot out of the bootloader my assumption would be there isn't a Rom loaded in the system partition, hence the no boot.

I'd try and flash the RUU again and see if it sticks.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Does anyone have a good link to the HBoot 2.09 RUU? I have tried to download the one from u.io (http://unlimited.io/downloads/dirtyracun/jewel/209/RUU.zip) 6 times and they all fail. I do not know how to check/compare MD5 (what app to use?) but if I open the zip files it gives me an error and nothing is inside the zip.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 92
    Upvote 0
    bootloader will not relock and says tampered at the top. any attempt to flash a rom just reboots the phone and now im left with not rom at all and i can not find the nandroid backup anywhere

what is your hboot? what were you trying to do? just relock the phone? what did you do prior to re-locking? do you have a custom recovery still? why are you trying to unroot?

the more info we have the better we can help;)

Upvote 0
    hboot 2.09. was trying to flash stock rooted rom flash failed and i have no nandroid. ruu fails and relocking bootloader fails

not sure what you mean flashed failed. did you wipe dalvik cache, cache, data(factory reset), and system before you flashed the rom? and for future reference always make a nandroid backup before you flash anything.

Upvote 0
    it was the ruu.zip and one other stock rooted zip and neither one worked tried like 10 times

ok the ruu is not flashed thru recovery it is done thru the bootloader. but it needs to match with what radio(baseband) you have. earier versions will not work......so it depends on your radio to run the ruu.

and have you tried this one?
    Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
    either one will work, but i usually recommend the odexed version.

also try and wipe dalvik cache, cache, data, and system three times before flashing it.

Reactions: Granite1
    Upvote 0
    Ok, finally got an RUU to run. Took a little while to figure it out.

Seems we don't have an official RUU for the latest OTA. If someone is on the latest radios with S-on, an RUU doesn't seem possible right now. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

I had to downgrade my radios to the last firmware set and then run the last RUU to get it to work.

I'm going to try the regaw S-on utility hopefully tonight. I hope it works.

Now I'll be able to do the latest OTA and it'll be completely stock updated unrooted. :)

Upvote 0
    Ok, finally got an RUU to run. Took a little while to figure it out.

Seems we don't have an official RUU for the latest OTA. If someone is on the latest radios with S-on, an RUU doesn't seem possible right now. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

I had to downgrade my radios to the last firmware set and then run the last RUU to get it to work.

I'm going to try the regaw S-on utility hopefully tonight. I hope it works.

Now I'll be able to do the latest OTA and it'll be completely stock updated unrooted. :)

ohhhhhh you're such a smart man granite. good call. i might need to add that into the guide somewhere at some point.

Reactions: Granite1
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones