• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting Help/Advice

Brico

Lurker
Aug 2, 2010
Hello,

I have a question for all of you. I decided to unroot because I am giving my phone to my mother and receiving a new one this week and we need to bring it to verizon and such. So I proceeded following the "unrooting" guide here: SBF to root and to unroot.
Thats just one I found through Google.

Everything was ok, I reactivated phone and everything seemed to be working, but I was not receiving the message to update to 2.1. So what should I do? Manually Install? If so whats a good place to get the official unrooted 2.1 update 1 file and do you think this will effect this particular phone from receiving 2.2 this week either or whenever it is released?

Also in system recovery I recieve E: Cant open / cache/recovery/command.

Should I worry about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

My droid info is now as follows : Firmware, 2.0.1, baseband: C_01.3E.01P,
Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1-g0dd7e0b android-build@apa26#511, Build ESD56

Thank you in advance if you find anything out that will aid me.

Hello,

I have a question for all of you. I decided to unroot because I am giving my phone to my mother and receiving a new one this week and we need to bring it to verizon and such. So I proceeded following the "unrooting" guide here: SBF to root and to unroot.
Thats just one I found through Google.

Everything was ok, I reactivated phone and everything seemed to be working, but I was not receiving the message to update to 2.1. So what should I do? Manually Install? If so whats a good place to get the official unrooted 2.1 update 1 file and do you think this will effect this particular phone from receiving 2.2 this week either or whenever it is released?

Also in system recovery I recieve E: Cant open / cache/recovery/command.

Should I worry about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

My droid info is now as follows : Firmware, 2.0.1, baseband: C_01.3E.01P,
Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1-g0dd7e0b android-build@apa26#511, Build ESD56

Thank you in advance if you find anything out that will aid me.

Is your system recovery the stock '!' one or sprecovery/clockwork? I think it may not have successfully flashed completely.

If you are not receiving the 2.1 ota, you probably won't get 2.2 as well.

Upvote 0
Is your system recovery the stock '!' one or sprecovery/clockwork? I think it may not have successfully flashed completely.

If you are not receiving the 2.1 ota, you probably won't get 2.2 as well.

Yea its the stock one. Im nearly 100% sure. Should I attempt to try what "madmike" or "papadroid" suggested? "Madmike" especially looks like it could help but I'm "inexperienced" so everything you guys are saying is helping me bit by bit, I just don't wanna jump into anything prematurely.

Im just wondering if the error E: Cant open / cache/recovery/comman will come into play

Again thank you....

Upvote 0
Yea its the stock one. Im nearly 100% sure. Should I attempt to try what Papadroid suggested? It looks like it could help but I'm a "noob" so everything you guys are saying is helping me bit by bit, I just don't wanna jump into anything prematurely.

Again thank you....

I would try what I suggested, mainly because I'm wondering if Verizon pulled the 2.1 OTA since all of their new Droids already have 2.1 and they are getting ready to release 2.2. Just my thoughts I have nothing to back them up.

Upvote 0
Yes pretty much but I would use the link he posted since it has very clear instructions.

OK, will give it a try soon. Thank you Papadroid and everyone else. I have one more qeation do you think that the error (E: Cant open / cache/recovery/command) is something that would interfere? I guess Ill find out by trying but since Im not home now, I thought I would ask before I go ahead with the process.

Upvote 0
OK, will give it a try soon. Thank you Papadroid and everyone else. I have one more qeation do you think that the error (E: Cant open / cache/recovery/command) is something that would interfere? I guess Ill find out by trying but since Im not home now, I thought I would ask before I go ahead with the process.

I don't believe that this will cause any problems but I'm not positive. I have seen other posts about this that said they had no problems with this message.

Reactions: Brico
Upvote 0
Well I followed the guide "madmike" posted and I am at 2.1 update 1 and everything seems stable. I guess I will see if I receive the OTA 2.2 that is supposedly coming out in the next couple days....

You guys think I should do anything else? Anything else to test to see if it is working 100%?

And again thank you for your help so far....

Upvote 0
I would try what I suggested, mainly because I'm wondering if Verizon pulled the 2.1 OTA since all of their new Droids already have 2.1 and they are getting ready to release 2.2. Just my thoughts I have nothing to back them up.

I was thinking that may be the case as well. No need for the 2.1 update if 2.2 is a day away.

I don't believe that this will cause any problems but I'm not positive. I have seen other posts about this that said they had no problems with this message.

Yeah, all the posts I've seen about it indicate it isn't a problem, but most of them were regarding SPRecovery, which is why I asked which recovery he was seeing.

Upvote 0
Thank you.

Ok this is a bit long but i am at wits end..

I have tried both methods of unrooting my droid.

I installed rsdlite 4.6 and the proper 64 bit driver. And the update.zip file. i do as it states. I plug droid in, turn on while holding up on D-Pad. I get a black screen that says:
Bootloader
2C.6C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode
USB:

Then it says to open rsdlite 4.6 and so i do. It opens and my device is not there. So i go to Config. and select DeviceID Options at this point i get the error message saying:
Motorola RSD has Stopped Working and i get the selections of check online for a solution and closing program or Close program. if i select check online it waits and searches and just closes..

The other way i did was like it said to:

1. Download 2.01 stock update.zip
  2. rename the downloaded file to update.zip (if you don't see the .zip in the downloaded filename don't add it because the file extensions are hidden from you.)
  3. mount Droid to computer
  4. copy file from computer to root of sdcard
  5. unmount card from computer
  6. hold X while rebooting until SPRecovery screen comes up
  7. install
  8. allow update.zip
  9. install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)
All of which i did. and am promptly greeted with this message:

assert failed: !less_than_int(1259199777, getpro
p("ro.build.date.utc"))
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted,

Thats all i keep getting..

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also is there a special way of opening rsdlite 4.6 as the administrator?

I dont mean to come off as a dumba**. I rooted and over clocked and switch roms all the time.. But this is just NOT working for some damn reason.

Thanks

AJ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones