• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting problem

hoelshot

Lurker
Oct 11, 2010
I was working through the unrooting process and seemed to have hit a wall. I got to the point of going to the recovery and then it happened, the screen went white for a bit, then a little animated picture of a phone showed up with a red triangle and eslcamation mark in the triangle. I am no pro at this but that seems to tell me something is wrong. Also, busybox is missing from Titanium backup. Any suggestions?

I was working through the unrooting process and seemed to have hit a wall. I got to the point of going to the recovery and then it happened, the screen went white for a bit, then a little animated picture of a phone showed up with a red triangle and eslcamation mark in the triangle. I am no pro at this but that seems to tell me something is wrong. Also, busybox is missing from Titanium backup. Any suggestions?

So at this point do you have s-on or s-off?

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem. I am unrooting my phone bc it never worked properly while it was rooted and the gingerbread came out and i wanted to check out the new update. Anyway my phone is working fine but it running on the original system and it hate it. I've tried to do the update and it does not say that it can find any. But i've checked and it is still in s-off. and i don't know how to turn it on. HELP please

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem. I am unrooting my phone bc it never worked properly while it was rooted and the gingerbread came out and i wanted to check out the new update. Anyway my phone is working fine but it running on the original system and it hate it. I've tried to do the update and it does not say that it can find any. But i've checked and it is still in s-off. and i don't know how to turn it on. HELP please

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide. there is a section on unrooting and directions as well. you basically flash the s-on tool then install a stock recovery and stock rom with a PC36IMG file. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
ok i have read the rooting for dummies the problem is i have already unrooted my phone using the RUU but the s is off and i don't know how to turn it on.. i have downloaded both files and put them on my sd card. when I go to boot into recovery( holding the vol. down and power button) it automatically starts loading something and asks if i want to do update, which is have all it does it reset the phone completely but the s remains off. if i hit no for the updating then it takes me back to the original white screen. when i boot into recovery is when it gives me the red triangle thing

Upvote 0
ok so basically what you have is s-off with no access to recovery. so now you have to do an extra step first before we can unroot you (turn s-on). so you need to install a custom recovery so that you can flash the s-on tool.
1. so grab this file:PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip.
2. erase the _RA_2.3 part of the name so that it is named only PC36IMG. do not add any .zips
3. delete or remove the previous PC36IMG file from the sd card. and transfer the file that you just named PC36IMG to the sd card.
4.goto hboot and let it scan for it and select update.

now you have a new recovery which is need to flash the s-on tool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones