• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting questions.

hortstu

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
I've been having problems with my evo for months. Constant reboots. Today I got stuck in a boot loop that lasted hours. Eventually, after the umpteenth battery pull, I just let it sit with the battery off for a few hours and it least it became useful as a phone again.

So I have to unroot and go back to stock to bring it in tomorrow. I can figure that out but I have some questions that pertain to this.

First- Is everything current in the Rooting for dummies thread on this topic?

2- They're probably going to hand me a new phone. If they do can I root right away or are there some new obstacles?

3- Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations before I unroot, go stock, or bring it in to sprint?

Thanks

yes I believe every thing should be up to date and I believe the ruu installs it self then just flash the s-on tool.. but you may want to seek a more experinced person as I have nevr had to do this.. akabam would be the first I would recomand ... make a new post portaining to running a ruu and he will chime in at some point.. evomattic, extreame. ochbraz and Mr.ed (just to name a few can also help

Upvote 0
I've been having problems with my evo for months. Constant reboots. Today I got stuck in a boot loop that lasted hours. Eventually, after the umpteenth battery pull, I just let it sit with the battery off for a few hours and it least it became useful as a phone again.

So I have to unroot and go back to stock to bring it in tomorrow. I can figure that out but I have some questions that pertain to this.

First- Is everything current in the Rooting for dummies thread on this topic?

2- They're probably going to hand me a new phone. If they do can I root right away or are there some new obstacles?

3- Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations before I unroot, go stock, or bring it in to sprint?

Thanks

The dummies thread is up to date last I checked. The easiest thing to do, I think, is to find the S-on tool and RUU for the latest update and flash em in Hboot. Both are in the dummies thread, make sure you choose the RUU for your Hboot version! Run the RUU first then run the S-on tool. Check the Rooting tor dummies thread out and if you have any questions, give a holler.
Once you have a new phone it won't be a problem. You can root right away, Unrevoked can work the latest OTA.

Upvote 0
The dummies thread is up to date last I checked. The easiest thing to do, I think, is to find the S-on tool and RUU for the latest update and flash em in Hboot. Both are in the dummies thread, make sure you choose the RUU for your Hboot version! Run the RUU first then run the S-on tool. Check the Rooting tor dummies thread out and if you have any questions, give a holler.
Once you have a new phone it won't be a problem. You can root right away, Unrevoked can work the latest OTA.

actually you run the unrevoked foreverson tool first then the ruu (PC36IMG.zip) last. i just did this about 3-4 weeks ago. i got everything from the dummies guide.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep, everyone jumped on this one :). Just a couple of notes:

A RUU and a PC36IMG.zip are not the same thing. Ultimately, what you need to do is overwrite all internal partitions and radio firmware with stock versions that all match what would be found in a RUU. That means you can either run a RUU, which is an exe you run from your computer with your phone connected, or you can flash a PC36IMG.zip file that contains the contents of a RUU (a bunch of img files) from hboot. The latter is recommended, as it's a bit more reliable, and isn't as likely to cause weird problems if it's interrupted (though it can still be a problem depending on what happened). Just make sure you have enough battery life. In any case, a PC36IMG.zip file used to automatically flash img files of your choice. As long as you have S-OFF, it can be as much or as little as you want. Once you have S-ON, it has to be signed, but that's fine, because what you'd be flashing after you flash the S-ON tool *is* official (the contents of a RUU).

2) When you have S-OFF, you can flash any img files you want via PC36IMG.zip with the exception of an older hboot if you have hboot 2.02 or newer. If you flash a PC36IMG.zip that contains an older ROM, radios, and hboot than what you have, it will downgrade all except for hboot. If you have S-ON, it would refuse to flash anything. My point is that we all typically say to flash a RUU or PC36IMG.zip RUU with that matches your hboot. If your hboot is older, and you've manually upgraded radios, this will not work. The RUU would attempt to downgrade radios, which would not be possible, as you'd have S-ON at this point. If that is the case, flash the RUU/PC36IMG.zip that matches your radio versions, not hboot. Keep in mind that this will update you to the latest hboot. This can be a problem if the latest hboot is not rootable. Right now, all versions can be rooted, so it doesn't matter. If you have the latest hboot, now, then ignore this, but it is important for anyone with an older hboot (than 2.10) who has updated radios.

Upvote 0
Ok, I want to make sure I understand this, so as not to fubar someone in the future.
If you run a RUU as a PC36img.zip conforming to your Hboot first, then the S-on tool you're good, right? Thats if the S-on tool is a signed .zip.
If you have S-on, run it to conform to your radios, correct?

Once again thanks Akazabam, I'd hate to goober someones piece. I'd feel horrible.

Upvote 0
No matter what, always run the unrevoked forever S-ON tool, first. If you flash the PC36IMG.zip, first, then you will lose your custom recovery, and not have a way to flash the S-ON tool. Remember, the RUU is either flashed via the official RUU or a PC36IMG.zip. The S-ON tool is flashed from recovery, which requires a custom recovery. No worries, though, as it's not a huge deal if you do that accidentally. Since you still have S-OFF if you do that, you can flash whatever PC36IMG.zip that you want. Just go to the link in my sig, and you can flash the recovery of your choice, flash the S-ON tool, then flash the stock recovery (in the same link in my sig) or take the time to flash the whole RUU again. No matter the case, it's going to fubar anything, it'll just waste some time. In fact, this is a similar method that you *could* do to accept an official OTA while rooted via unrevoked. I'm *not* recommending this, I'm just saying it's technically possible.

Anyway, once you flash the S-ON tool, you are then only able to flash PC36IMG.zip files that are verified img files and can only flash ones that match your current version or are newer. The rule is, you must flash the PC36IMG.zip RUU of the newest thing you flashed. What that means is, if you have an older hboot, but newer radios, you'll need to flash the PC36IMG.zip that matches the radio version, not the hboot version. You could get around this by downgrading radios, first, but if you don't care about your hboot version, then it doesn't matter. The only reason you might care is if you have hboot 0.97 or under. A good way around this, in fact, is to actually purposefully do the "wrong" method above. What I mean is, flash the older PC36IMG.zip *before* flashing the S-ON tool, then reflash a custom recovery, flash the S-ON tool, then flash the stock recovery back. That's actually the quickest way to do that, probably. In any case, just follow these rules - you must flash the RUU that matches the newest thing you flashed and if you've done anything weird, such as flash new radios, fix it before you flash the S-ON tool, or you must go with the hboot that matches the new radios.

If any of that is confusing, please let me know, and I'll try to clarify.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones