• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting / Rooting my Evo to get Gingerbread

So i got a OTA update on my Evo and i'm pretty sure its gingerbread. i downloaded it, and when it was installing, i got the angry error triangle on my screen. i then realized that it wouldnt work bc i rooted my phone. however, i really want gingerbread, so is there any way that i can get gingerbread without unrooting / rerooting my phone? i definetly want root ( for obvious reasons ) but i also want gingerbread. my friend told me that i mite be able to manually patch my phone without having to unroot so if someone could give me a step by step, thatd be awesome. if not, does unrevoked have root for gingerbread yet? i followed this guide to root :
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

and i dont know if its been updated for gingerbread. i dont want to unroot and then be stuck wit a unrooted gingerbread phone, waiting for a Evo gingerbread root to come out on unrevoked. thanks :D

Gingerbread isnt out yet for the evo... but when it does become available a developer will be able to eventually release a rooted version of it that you can flash...

In the mean time there are some gingerbread roms out there but they arent complete

wow i feel like an idiot. so whats up wit the recent OTA update? should i just wait until gingerbread instead of getting this update? and thanks

Upvote 0
wow i feel like an idiot. so whats up wit the recent OTA update? should i just wait until gingerbread instead of getting this update? and thanks

Dont worry about it... This stuff can be very confusing. If you are rooted you shouldnt accept OTA updates because you might lose root. For the mean time im sure you can download a rooted stock rom of the update, or you can download a rom thats based on the update like Fresh rom.

As far as gingerbread is concerned, what i am going to do is wait for it to be released... then wait longer until the talented developers integrate gingerbread into their roms like Fresh or Myns warm. Im sure a plain stock rooted gingerbread rom will be shortly after the official release if you want to go that route.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones