• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting? taking into sprint...

jc123

Sep 19, 2010
Ok i know im going to sound dumb but i just got my evo tuesday and have to take it in since its not letting me call out while roaming i talked to 4 sprint techs none helped. So im going to take it in tomorrow but how can i unroot? and is it possible to do without losing data, a link to a guide would be great.

Also once i get back and have to re-root will i have to go through the long process of downgrading to 2.1 everything then going back to 2.2?

And whats s-off s-on how do i know mine? thanks and sorry

So im going to take it in tomorrow but how can i unroot? and is it possible to do without losing data, a link to a guide would be great.

You'll get a better answer from someone other than me.

Also once i get back and have to re-root will i have to go through the long process of downgrading to 2.1 everything then going back to 2.2?

You'll get a better answer from someone other than me.

And whats s-off s-on how do i know mine? thanks and sorry

You can find out if you're s-on or s-off by shutting your phone down. Then hold volume down and turn it back on while holding it. At the top of the screen you will see a bunch of info and either s-on or s-off.

I believe it is basically part of the root process, I'm not sure something to do with superuser privilages. You want it to say s-off when you bring it in to Sprint.

Upvote 0
1. You can unroot but you will probably lose everything. You could simply do a nandroid and not worry about it. But the problem might manifest itself again.

2. There is the one click method now, unrevoked 3.21.

3. S-OFF is security off. Turn off the phone. Now boot it by holding the down volume button and press the power switch. You'll boot into HBOOT. It says at the top S-ON or S-OFF.

What ROMs are you guys running? Have you considered doing a full wipe and reinstalling a different ROM?

Upvote 0
I believe it is basically part of the root process, I'm not sure something to do with superuser privilages. You want it to say s-off when you bring it in to Sprint.

You are most definatly WRONG! You want S-ON if you are taking into Sprint. Follow the link to the guide to unroot and follow the directions. Its real simple, I had to unroot yesterday to take my phone into sprint and it only took about 10-15 mins. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones