• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting to Return to Verizon

Mr. Monkey

May 18, 2010
Sandy, Utah
I have to return my phone to Verizon today because my slider is a little whacky. I just need to make sure I unroot it first. I thought I would just use the stock images in ROM Manager, and wipe everything. Should I reformat my SD card as well? Anything else I'm missing?

I was also curious if there are any licenses I need to save. I only have SetCPU and Rom Manager (paid version). Should I be okay installing those again on my new phone?

I have to return my phone to Verizon today because my slider is a little whacky. I just need to make sure I unroot it first. I thought I would just use the stock images in ROM Manager, and wipe everything. Should I reformat my SD card as well? Anything else I'm missing?

I was also curious if there are any licenses I need to save. I only have SetCPU and Rom Manager (paid version). Should I be okay installing those again on my new phone?

I would go the sbf route for returning to stock. You would only need to save licenses if you have bought one thats not on the market like Titanium Backup. Anything from the market will be saved with your google account. No reason to format the sd card just take it out and put it in the new phone when you get it.

Link to using sbf to get back to stock
http://androidforums.com/all-things...guide-all-things-root-related.html#post780704

Upvote 0
I've actually exchanged 2 rooted phones. The first one had a bad keyboard and was exchanged for a new one, and the second one came with a chip on the screen. I rooted that one before exchanging it the next day.

In every instance, though, I used ROM Manager to return to the stock theme. If you're taking it into the store -- like I did -- the vast majority of the sales reps won't even notice the SuperUser app, and if they do, an even smaller percentage will actually realize what it is.

Upvote 0
Wow. I put the 2.01 sbf on mine and took it to the android start up screen then shut it down. You must have still had SPRecovery or CW when you sent it back in?

I've actually exchanged 2 rooted phones. The first one had a bad keyboard and was exchanged for a new one, and the second one came with a chip on the screen. I rooted that one before exchanging it the next day.

In every instance, though, I used ROM Manager to return to the stock theme. If you're taking it into the store -- like I did -- the vast majority of the sales reps won't even notice the SuperUser app, and if they do, an even smaller percentage will actually realize what it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones