• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting To Stock from Cognition

Npjones1

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
So im new to the Captivate and Android system. I am not very smart when it comes to rooting and unrooting. I had gotten this phone from a friend, and i love it. I know the phone is rooted because when turning on it has a Cognition screen. So my problem is i need to send it back to Samsung to fix. It keeps shutting of by itself. Anyway i know that Samsung will not do anything with it if it is rooted. I know there are tons of threads on here about unrooting. And to be honest i did not see any i could understand. I found and downloaded the GalaxyS_One-Click_Root_All_Models.rar This is all i have. Can i just click the unroot button and everything be back to stock to ship? Please help if you can. thank

Nope, you have to reflash back 2.1 with Odin. Unrooting is all well and good, but if you have a custom ROM 2.2 on your phone, they won't touch it.

Also, the force close is probably an issue with cognition, not your phone.

Thanks. Samsung said it is under warranty thru them. Do you think i should just re install? Or just reflash and send it to them?. And Odin, where can i get that at? and is it easy to follow?

Upvote 0
Any idea which version of Cognition you have on there? You can check it by going into settings and looking in the "About Phone" section.

Anyway, first off, you HAVE to get the phone back to stock BEFORE you send it to Samsung - otherwise, as stated, they won't touch it.

The phone shutting off is a problem with the phone - My first Captivate had it. Since I was in my 30 day window, AT&T replaced it w/o any problems. Sounds like whoever sold you the phone new about the problem but probably already had a ROM on it so AT&T wouldn't replace it; or he was out the 30 day window.

Anyway, to take Cognition off and get the thing back to stock, follow this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDtxnH4lFuk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I will warn you big time here.... I had Cognition v3.04 on my phone and tried to just run ODIN over top of it (didn't watch the video), and seriously bricked my phone (totally, not a soft brick). The ODIN froze, and my phone shut off and WOULD NOT turn back on. I tried EVERYTHING I could find but the phone was toast. I even went as far as making the silly 3 resistor jig and still nothing - It was DEAD.

Watch the video THOROUGHLY before you attempt anything. If you've not used ODIN or some of the other software mentioned in the video, to some research before you attempt anything. I learned the hard way...... It scared me so bad I don't think I'll be messing with the new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones