• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unsanctioned "2.1 Leak" Install FAQ

erisuser1

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
The Unsanctioned "2.1 Leak Install" FAQ v0.8

Here's what I've got so far. Feel free to add your own FAQ entries.

Q1) I don't like to read. Are there any workarounds?

Happily, yes!. Print these pages to a PDF file using Acrobat Distiller and then do a View... Read Out Loud

Q2) Will this software work with my Atari II game console?

Yes! Burn it to a CD-ROM and set it next to the console, and then put your juice box on there. It keeps stains off the coffee table quite nicely.

Q3) The software asks me, "Do you want to Install?". What do I do?

I got lost here too, given that there are a total of 5 buttons on the phone, not to mention the 5!/(3!*2!) two-button combinations. Thank goodness I clicked first on the one that worked, instead of the hidden menu items "Burst into Flames", or "Global Thermonuclear War".

Q4) Are there any video instructions for this?

No, but you can help out by making one. Get a friend to follow the steps in the answer to Q1; you hold the videocam. This step is critical though: make sure the videocamera is turned on. If you want to use your phone for this you will need at least two mirrors, if not more.

Q5) I unpacked the zip file using the DOS INFO-ZIP v1.2 program, and renamed all the files to my liking. Install doesn't work for me. Any ideas?

It will work if you keep repeating the same steps. You just need to convince the phone you are serious. Trust me on this one.

Q6) I didn't realize my SD card had a "root". If the devs are looking for root, why don't they just use that one?

Heh. Good find.

Q7) The screen is cracked on my phone. Will it look better with 2.1?

Yes, but only in a relative sort of way. Take a screen shot of it and post it up for us so we can see what it looks like.

$ adb shell /system/bin/fbtool -d /sdcard/crackedscreen.bmp

Q8) I got it installed on my phone but now my favorite app works differently. What should I do?

Download the .zip file from the Internet again. Never mind that your phone checked the cryptographic signature. The more often you download and re-install, the better. Practice makes Perfect applies to phones, too.

Q9) Can anyone assure me that this software won't cause me troubles?

My cousin knows a guy who's roommate used to work for Verizon. He says you should be "good to go" until 3.0 comes out in July, but all bets are off after that. You can quote me on that.

Q10) I tried the audio instructions suggested above, but I have profound hearing loss, and the speaker on my phone is crappy. Are their any instructions in braille?

You need to install the braille font-pack onto your phone. Sorry, but root is required for that.

Q11) I started reading this FAQ, and my battery was down 18% by the time I finished reading it!

I Agree. Thanks for sharing! You can overcome this kind of problem by installing the Seido 1750 battery. Either that or reading more quickly.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones