• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unsupportably bad battery life

Since 2.3.4 came out the battery life sucks! It decreases so fast, when I was on 2.2 I used to charge my ATRIX once every 2 days, but now I have to charge it 3 times a day... and this is all with the same usage as on the 2.2 OS... Is there a fix for this?? ... I factory reset after 2.3.4 update but still... the battery life is pooor! =/

I'm a new Atrix user, and my handset came with GingerBread (i.e. 2.3.4). I have not had your experience with battery life. In the week I've had my device, my worst experience was a 3/4-day battery discharge, but I was heavily using the camera, and data services, and I was in a poor-signal area. My best experience has been about 2-days battery discharge. I do use a task-killer, and I do use the maximum battery savings setting.

Upvote 0
I've had my Atrix since March, and I've noticed no change in the Battery life from 2.2 to 2.3. I've ALWAYS had to charge my phone multiple times a day. I attribute this to the dual core CPU, but MAINLY due to poor signal strength in my area.

For example, I have to charge 2 to 3 times a day with moderate use. My old BB 9700 that other people reported 2 to 3 days on a charge would barely get 1 day.

My fiance lives in Orlando where they have VERY strong signal. Her Atrix lasts almost 2 days. When I'm down there, I get almost 2 days on mine. (If it was a problem with the Phone, or the Update, then that would not change just because of where I am. - The Lowest Common Denominator here is the network where I am.)

I propose that the problem you have is not related to the GB update to 2.3, but rather a bad tower in your area, or AT&T working on the towers causing problems with the signal. I would contact them about it.

Do you notice your phone dropping to E (Edge/2G) more often than before or Fewer bars of signal?

When the signal quality drops, the phone has to boost power to the radio's to stay in contact. This means a faster battery drain.

The other thing to check is that all of your apps are updated through the market. Check each of their pages for other people reporting high battery drain on that app. It could be a bad release of an app (Every developer does that from time to time..). Or, an app that is not fully GB compatible.

Reactions: th3xeroeagle
Upvote 0
I've had my Atrix since March, and I've noticed no change in the Battery life from 2.2 to 2.3. I've ALWAYS had to charge my phone multiple times a day. I attribute this to the dual core CPU, but MAINLY due to poor signal strength in my area.

For example, I have to charge 2 to 3 times a day with moderate use. My old BB 9700 that other people reported 2 to 3 days on a charge would barely get 1 day.

My fiance lives in Orlando where they have VERY strong signal. Her Atrix lasts almost 2 days. When I'm down there, I get almost 2 days on mine. (If it was a problem with the Phone, or the Update, then that would not change just because of where I am. - The Lowest Common Denominator here is the network where I am.)

I propose that the problem you have is not related to the GB update to 2.3, but rather a bad tower in your area, or AT&T working on the towers causing problems with the signal. I would contact them about it.

Do you notice your phone dropping to E (Edge/2G) more often than before or Fewer bars of signal?

When the signal quality drops, the phone has to boost power to the radio's to stay in contact. This means a faster battery drain.

The other thing to check is that all of your apps are updated through the market. Check each of their pages for other people reporting high battery drain on that app. It could be a bad release of an app (Every developer does that from time to time..). Or, an app that is not fully GB compatible.

ohh poor signal causes faster battery drain too? didn't know that thanks for the heads up yeah, I was with Rogers before the network was great but now I switched with Virgin (on Bell's network) and maybe that's why it sucks... btw my ATRIX is sim unlocked that's why I was with Rogers first =/ well thanks for the advice :)

Upvote 0
My Atrix eats battery quick no matter the signal level, much worst than my HTC, I used to bring an USB battery for backup, but since my HTC upgraded to 2.3.4 I need to bring 2 battery as backup !! and it never get a full charge overnight, yes I've always on data overnight but this is not new I always do that, I think the new firmware is to blame, and Atrix no exception.

Upvote 0
mine is about a day a charge. Sometimes its got 40-50% left at the end of the day, so I am ok with it.

I have found that since the GB update, its actually better.

Now that said, I have been using the voice typing thing more often now, where instead of typing, I just talk. I find that uses a SHED load of battery. If I do a few messages voice typed instead of finger typed, my battery will drain much faster.

I also have wigets for turning on GPS, WiFi and Blutooth. If I am not in the car, I turn off blutooth. If I am not at home, work or other known WiFi area, I turn that off. If I am not actually using something that benefits from GPS, I turn that off. Those 3 radios use lots of power and if they are not needed, shut em down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones