• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unsupported SODIMM?

ROBOCRIPPLE

Apr 9, 2016
I got an affordable Intel NUC. I had some DDR3L memory modules lying around, which I bought for another mini PC which didn't boot up at all with either set. I installed either set in the NUC and it booted successfully, only with the message "Unsupported 1GB / 2GB density SODIMM(s) detected on SODIMM Slot 2. System instability or data loss possible. Replace with SODIMMs with 4GB or higher density. Continue (Y/n)."

I installed Ubuntu, set it up, and it has been working well, but I'm afraid of the possible "system instability" or "data loss" with the NUC. I looked it up and it said that I should buy compatible modules, which are 4 Gbit density or higher. The two sets that I have are only 2 Gbit. That's new to me. Makes technology even more confusing. :thumbsdowndroid:

Now, I'm looking for memory modules that actually are compatible with the Intel NUC that I have. I'm finding it hard because of the whole "density" BS. Which modules do you recommend for the NUC? I'd like to have a dual-module configuration because I'd like the NUC to perform decently in YouTube and Virtualbox, for example.

Last edited:
I got a single memory module for the NUC, which was recommended by Intel according to this page. It worked; I'm not seeing that message anymore. But now it feels like it's a bit slower; it has a harder time running YouTube videos at 1080p 60 fps, and Firefox Quantum gets some screen-tearing or lag or w/e it is called when I'm scrolling. It does pretty well in running a Virtual Machine that uses 2GB of memory.

I wish I didn't have to buy that single 8GB memory module; that NUC could've run much better had it been compatible with the "low-density" dual modules that I've already had.

Upvote 0
I usually refer to Crucial's site when I'm looking for RAM.
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory?cm_re=homepage-_-main-body-_-us-buy-memory-button
Taking into consideration that there are so many variations (hundreds?) for something like a DDR3 module, I'd be really surprised if that RAM you previously bought would be compatible. Just because the slot size might have worked out, odds are pretty high the motherboard specifics (speed, class, voltage, etc.) would be different.

Upvote 0
Taking into consideration that there are so many variations (hundreds?) for something like a DDR3 module, I'd be really surprised if that RAM you previously bought would be compatible. Just because the slot size might have worked out, odds are pretty high the motherboard specifics (speed, class, voltage, etc.) would be different.

In that case, I won't be buying another PC or motherboard that uses DDR3, anymore. Is DDR4 any better besides performance? (simplicity, power consumption, etc)

Upvote 0
... It's not a good idea to re-use very old memory in significantly newer computers.
It's not even a matter of 'not a good idea', with very old memory the pin configurations won't even fit into the RAM slots of newer motherboards. Or if they do, the system won't even get past the BIOS step. Just get RAM that's compatible with your hardware, mix and matching is often just a crap shoot.

Upvote 0
How old were the DDR3 2GBit density sticks? Very early ones I'd think. Any recent DDR3 sticks should be 4GBit density and be compatible. It's not a good idea to re-use very old memory in significantly newer computers.
I just looked at my orders of them on Amazon and they said they were first available in 2012, and my NUC was first available in 2017 and previous mini PC in 2016, so yeah, the DDR3L modules are quite old.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones