1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Unsure: Nexus S or Desire S?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ip101, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ip101

ip101 Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Looking to get a new Android phone and whilst I can't afford anything new, I've been looking at the Nexus S and HTC Desire S. Mainly because they're reasonably quick, good price and not too big. I've read that they're both very similar (and the specs confirm this), but my main concern is longevity and support. The Nexus S has already been confirmed to get ICS and but doesn't have an SD card slot. The Desire S has an SD card slot (which I'll be able to use my current 16GB SD card with) but hasn't been confirmed if it will be getting ICS and if it does I'm sure HTC will take their time porting it over. The Desire S also has Sense which I'm already used to as I currently have a Wildfire (speaking of the Wildfire, anything I get will be a significant upgrade as it is super slow and laggy). Some have also said that the Nexus S is the one to get if you're going to root it and use custom ROMs. I've never actually rooted my phone but I wouldn't be against it and I've been wanting to try out the MIUI or CM7 ROMs. Basically can anyone suggest one or the other based on recent news about ICS, performance and storage? Many thanks!

Advertisement

2. adi19956

adi19956 Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    College
    Hampshire, UK
    Welcome to AF!

I'd say the Nexus S simply because it's Nexus. it's not all about ICS, the next update won't be too long and the Nexus will be more likely to get it. I doubt Google will decide that it's too old to get the next update (like the Nexus One has) because processors in lower spec phones at the moment are still hanging around 600 MHz - 1 GHz (and Google won't want too much fragmentation) which is where the Nexus is.
    The Nexus also has more community support like the Nexus One does so both are likely (even if Google doesn't want them to) to get the next few updates.

Hope that helps

3. ip101

ip101 Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Thanks. I was leaning towards the Nexus S anyway. Think I just needed a little push.

4. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    England
    The Nexus S is the better phone on all counts imo,you won't go far wrong with it.:)