1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unsyncing Gmail account???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaggajatt, Mar 26, 2011.

1. jaggajatt

jaggajatt Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    I synced my unlocked Atrix with my gmail account and now in my contacts list every e-mail that I've ever sent out show's up as a contact. I looked all over the place to figure out how to unsync gmail but the forums are all for the droid X or HTC hero and the menu's are different. I went to the gmail app>settings>more settings but there's no sync or unsync option available. I also went through settings>accounts and there's only a sync option for my gmail account. If anyone knows how to turn syncing off or an app to manage contacts, it would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    If you do not want any of your gmail contacts, go into contacts, press menu --> display options --> and chose the group(s) you want. Or if just want them gone, log into gmail, select contacts, look for the "other" group on the left; the e-mail contacts should be there. Just delete them

jaggajatt likes this.
  3. kid108

kid108 Lurker
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    Bellflower, CA
    Hey noob question? Does gmail mobile automaticaly sync your contacts to gmail or do I have to get an app to do that? Just got my first Atrix/Android device coming from Blackberry. Thanks.

4. jaggajatt

jaggajatt Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    its gonna ask you to sign up and automatically do it for u

5. omnius

omnius Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Canada
    you can also set how often to sync, or set it to only sync when you do it manually if you don't want the background data flowing.

6. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    tech stuff
    Austin, TX
    I think what the OP is looking for is to get rid of the non-friend type contacts. First you'll need to set your gmail account to NOT add all recipients as contacts. Then you'll have to go through all your contacts and start deleting the crap ones. It's a pain, but worth it, IMO. I had about a hundred, but paired it down to 41. Then I set my Atrix contacts to just gmail (and not facebook), so now it looks nice and tidy.

james27007 likes this.
  7. jomomms

jomomms Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2011

Would you be able to elaborate on "setting up your gmail to not add all recipients as contacts" and how did you send the contacts from your atrix to your gmail?

8. Evil.Bonsai

None

Feb 2, 2011
    tech stuff
    Austin, TX
    Just checked and can't find it. I would've sworn there was an option to not 'auto-add' to contact list, but couldn't find it. There's more than a few posts on this in the google help forums, but mostly just workarounds.

One thing I did for sure was to go through all my contacts and delete the ones I didn't want. So far, no new ones have been added back. I searched through all the settings but couldn't find anything useful.

As for the last part, I never 'sent' any contacts from my atrix to gmail. I SET my Atrix contacts to only DISPLAY the gmail contacts. This is done by going into contacts, hit the menu button, then 'display group' and setting it to my google account. this stops all the facebook contacts from showing up.

9. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    If the phone people copied your contacts to your phone so they are not I gmail, go into contacts, press menu, more, import/export. Then export all to your sdcard, then after they are there, select import from sdcard, but when you do select to import to gmail. This will double your contacts but the phone should link them. Or just not display them per my earlier post. Now all your contacts are on gmail.

You can also just display contacts on the phone and delete them on e you have verify they are all in google.

10. Evil.Bonsai

None

Feb 2, 2011
    tech stuff
    Austin, TX
  11. egDonald

egDonald Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    Elk Grove, CA
    so we've found out how to keep GMail from adding everybody and their mom to the "contacts" list and how to sync the phone with GMail contacts....

but does anyone know how to edit contact info from the phone - and not have to go into GMail to edit?

For example - what if I get an number or email address wrong when adding a "New Contact" from GMail.
    Let's say I enter the number 1(510)555-2222, but I meant to enter 1(510)444-3333.

Is it possible to edit GMail contacts from the phone side?
    edit
    Ok - sorry dumb question... I'm just getting used to my new Atrix is all :p
    Just select the contact on the phone side, and hit the "menu" touch/soft button to edit.