1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unusable pre-installed apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thetingster, Sep 24, 2011.

1. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

Okay, so I'm now rooted and have been freezing or deleting apps that annoy me or that I know I will NEVER use with TBU. But in going through TBU I have found a whole bunch of apps that are pre-installed but do not show up in the app drawer and it does not appear I am able to run them. These apps include such things as sound recorder, terminal emulator, car dock etc. Can some explain this to me?

Advertisement

2. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert

These are apps that the system may use to support other apps and/or features of the Bionic. You can try freezing them and see what suffers from that. You just have to remember what you froze (take notes!). If you don't have a car dock, and will never have one, it's safe to freeze or delete "car dock" as that's the builtin car dock app. I use a third party app so I have that one frozen now as well.

Just some food for thought. There's no real need to freeze and/or delete every little piece of s/w that's residing on your Bionic that you don't use. Most of those reside in /system/app anyway ... which aren't hogging up precious memory. I think sometimes we becomes such control freaks, we drive ourselves nuts with this stuff. ;)

3. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast

Bionic came with terminal emulator pre-installed ?!??

4. thetingster

It appears so. It shows up in Titanium Back up.

5. thetingster

There is also Video Editor Lite. I wish I knew how to access these.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

My guess is that some of these apps are mode specific

As in the apps may only be available in Webtop mode, or when taking videos, etc.

7. Lars

Lars Android Expert

Video editor lite has been around on previous phones. You can edit your video under edit advanced in the gallery.