1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root unusual problem while rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Phil42, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Phil42

Phil42 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    I've been following the online threads for downgrading to V3, towelroot, and then burning V4.

The LGFlash gave an error message "FAILED 2188 seconds", but the phone did end up in the AAT Micro 3.0 menu.

I was able to reboot the phone and found it is (apparently) now a factory virgin V3 ROM. The phone looks like it's been factory reset (no Boost Mobile skins or apps). All of my data on the phone was erased, including apps, account information, agreements to contracts, etc. but as far as I can tell the SD card has not been affected.

I was able to connect to my WiFi network and download towelroot and successfully root the phone, as verified with root checker. Naturally the first update the phone tries to do is back to V4, but I've been careful not to permit that to happen.

Obviously I've got to have Boost Mobile reactivate the phone and reinstall all of my data (I *WISH* I had more of it backed up!)

I'm holding off on burning the V4 ROM until the phone's reactivated but obviously I am refusing the OTA update.

Thoughts?

P.S. - one other strange thing. I downloaded Superuser from the Playstore. But it doesn't seem to be doing anything - any root apps (root checker, Samba File Sharing, etc.) installs and runs without Superuser asking me if I want to grant that app permission. That kind of concerns me for obvious reasons.

Advertisement

2. bcheez

bcheez Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2014
    The reason u have no boost apps or anythang is cuz u chose upgrade on the flash tool, u want to use the board dl, that will bring boost apps and boot screen back, the fail error means absolutely nothin( atleast that ive noticed anyways) cuz ive flashed back to zv3 many times and it always fail but everythang ends up goin thru like its supposed to, u dont have to have boost reactivate yo phone, jus dial ##873283# and it will reactivate, so much easier than talkin to them boosts ****s that u can barely understand anyways lol, and as for superuser, dont use the 1 on playstore, theres 1 in the zv4 stock rooted thread that u will have no problems with, or u can get the newest version from apk galaxy

3. bcheez

bcheez Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2014
    If u use the board dl method and boost doesnt return, reflash the upgrade and after the mini 3.0 screen, pull the battery and flash with board dl and it will work for u

4. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    The file we have for getting back to v3 is a non carrier specific version. There is no carrier identification, and this normal. You can just run the hands free activation (##72786#) and it should activate fine. Your data, unfortunately, is gone. My phone identifies as no carrier, but everything works fine.

5. bcheez

bcheez Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2014
    Ur right, everythang does work fine without the carrier id but there is a way to get it back, jus for the picky ppl that have to have everythang perfect lol

6. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    None has been found, beyond cosmetic corrections. The boot animation is actually on the phone, you list have to rename it to make it active. Editing build.prop will make it say whatever carrier you want, but it will still identify as no carrier.

7. bcheez

bcheez Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2014
    What do u mean by cosmetic corrections exactly? With the method i described my phone boots up jus as it did when i 1st got it, all the default apps and boost apps r there, even boost zone and boost mobile id, and thats without goin into the build prop, im to scared with the build prop again lol, ive messed up alot of phones messin wit it so i stay away from it, the method i use could very well jus be cosmetic as u say, so i dont want u to think im sayin u dont know what ur talkin about cuz thats not what im sayin at all, but it does bring everythang back to out of box condition

8. Phil42

Phil42 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Part 2 on my journey to root and upgrade to ZV4.

I had previously successfully downgraded for ZV3 and used towelroot to root my LGVolt.

I used Flashify to install Clockword Mod recovery, then backed up my phone.

Then I used Flashify to burn ls740_zv4.zip.

I cleared the cache and davlik cache, and I did specify "Fix root" before rebooting.

When the phone boots it says Android's upgrading and optimized about 250 items before giving me the normal lock screen.

I am on ZV4 and Superuser has been added to my apps, but I am no longer rooted! (as verified by Root Checker).

So what did I leave out, and what do I need to do now?

9. bcheez

bcheez Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2014
    U cant flash roms wit flashify, flash the z4 zip u have wit clockwork mod and choose NOT to fix root, it never seemed to work right for me to FIX ROOT, so i dont and jus use towel root and install the 2.42 version of supersu and everythang works jus fine, but thats jus how i do it

Phil42 likes this.
  10. Phil42

Phil42 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Thanks. I'm apparently good now. Apparently the ZV4 ROM has been compiled to permit towelroot to work.

11. bcheez

bcheez Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2014
    No problem

Tags: