• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unusually high load from system

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Trying to make sense of this.

Simply, I've been noticing the phone being unusually warm and burning through battery, especially when I'm not actively using it. So, made a point to leave it alone and let it do its thing, and check with gsam to see what it tacked.

This is my personal v20, running the latest (known) build of resurrection remix rom for it. Seems to be saying the system itself is doing skmething, but as a result, i don't know how to tame it to behave.

Bad enough my present work has me out in 100+ F weather all day long. Only thing I can take solace in, is that at least with the extended battery i can still get through the day on a single charge. The standard battery would have left me to die ages ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210607-060254_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png
    Screenshot_20210607-060254_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png
    868.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot_20210607-060244_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png
    Screenshot_20210607-060244_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png
    945.4 KB · Views: 178
Do you have a case on it?

I loved my V20 but it would get hot sometimes.
I have an extended battery explicitly so it could survive the day with me. By nature of its larger size, of course it does.

Still doesn't explain why system is using so much of the phone. Before i plugged it in for the night and before taking this screenshot, it was accredited as taking as much as 20% of the battery life.

Upvote 0
Notice how much FireFox and assorted Google apps are using combined?

Almost as much as Lineage is.

You are using FireFox.
Do you trust Google?

I ask because normally the answer from a FireFox user is "Heck no! That is why I use FireFox, and have Lineage on my device!"

Anyway, I have personally found Firefox to be horribly slow.
This would cause it to use more power, as it must run longer.

And we all know that Google and efficiency never belong together in the same sentence, except for comparison of opposites.

So, really, I would try another browser. A fast, efficient one.
And I would eliminate Google from the device altogether.

Your browser should be able to provide G-mail and the other Google service apps, and save space and energy at the same time.

Also, maybe try Greenify out.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/acr.browser.lightning/

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.midorinext.android/

https://greenify.en.uptodown.com/android

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/superfreeze.tool.android/

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
Even my work's email is served by GMail. And my personal account on there has been around since the service was invite-only.

I use firefox at home, and trying it on the phone now, I found that it has a mobile counterpart of uBlock so that I can sync adblocking lists to be as robust as on the desktop. Too many sites (including this one) are almost unusable otherwise because the ads are that intrusive and straight up break the page.

Granted, it has been a while since I last used greenify. I think I was still on an S3 before it just seemed like it wasn't doing much of anything anymore.

Upvote 0
Even my work's email is served by GMail. And my personal account on there has been around since the service was invite-only.

I use firefox at home, and trying it on the phone now, I found that it has a mobile counterpart of uBlock so that I can sync adblocking lists to be as robust as on the desktop. Too many sites (including this one) are almost unusable otherwise because the ads are that intrusive and straight up break the page.

Granted, it has been a while since I last used greenify. I think I was still on an S3 before it just seemed like it wasn't doing much of anything anymore.

The browsers I listed have ad-blockers that work great.
This site?
I have no ads.

I can load up any hostfile (onboard, or remote) for ad-blocking that I choose.

There are firewalls that can do the same thing (NetGuard), and that works even when not using the browser.

I personally like NoRoot Firewall, because I can block individual IP addresses as they pop up.

Basically, eventually I have built my own ad-blocker, by adding IP addresses from the firewall log.

Your G-mail, along with the other assorted Google apps, are all accessible with the browsers I listed.

If all else fails, use Greenify to turn off the apps that are using the energy, namely FireFox and that Google crap.
This will effectively save almost as much juice as your OS is using.

Honestly, the device was new in 2016.
Are developers still working on OS efficiency for this device?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Could we please stop calling it a device? It's a phone. Device sounds like a term made up by people so paranoid about making everything politically correct, even when there was no grounds to be offended in the first place. Ironically making such a new term offensive by default.

Also, since no phone maker wants to make a good phone again, I've had less than zero reason to upgrade. Same with the Note 4 i gave the wife when her Lumia finally died.

Upvote 0
Could we please stop calling it a device? It's a phone. Device sounds like a term made up by people so paranoid about making everything politically correct, even when there was no grounds to be offended in the first place. Ironically making such a new term offensive by default.

Also, since no phone maker wants to make a good phone again, I've had less than zero reason to upgrade. Same with the Note 4 i gave the wife when her Lumia finally died.

The term cannot be offensive, as inanimate objects cannot be offended.

It is a device.
Multiple different devices run the Android OS, and so only pointing out the phones would be discrimination.
(Not really, but see how it illustrates the point?)

And it seems that you have now come across a reason to upgrade.

I would look into what is available from Motorola.

Upvote 0
Motorola? Ugh...

My last sealed battery phone was an mxpe, recommended by this very forum. Should I count the ways in which it's left me to die? Or just refuse to stay alive? Never mind that, when it came time to replace the battery, no repair shop would touch the phone. And by that point, Motorola was actively suing parts suppliers. So a complete kit that would have once been $15 usd was long gone, with the only thing left being Chinese knockoffs that sold for $50+ with none of the added components to make ot feasible to use.

I went with this v20 for two big reasons:
Extended batteries are available. Working for the district this summer, that's been a literal life saver.
Compatibility with multiple networks. Yes ,T-Mobile has been good to me thus far. But up to this point, the only phones I've ever been happy with, have all been those that were rootable and had an extended battery upgrade.

In retrospect, i also regularly use the sd card functionality, and the headphone jack. Reaching further back, i personally miss those slider keyboards, because even when gaming, they made a good approximation for a controller when emulating. Touch controls are a buzz kill for most of thw games I'm into.

No sealed battery phone, at any price, is justified. Because no sealed battery phome, regardless of model or price, has even survived a day with me on a full charge; let alone two months without developing problems that become expensive as Hell to deal with.

Unless the phone, from factory, comes with a 10k mAh battery or better, history has proven it won't even last a day on a charge. Period, end of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

[DAY JOB]

Courtesy of the Oxford English Dictionary:

device (noun)
a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment: a measuring device. • a bomb or other explosive weapon: an incendiary device. • a piece of portable electronic equipment that can connect to the internet, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer:

Nothing "paranoid" or "politically correct" or "offensive" here.

[/DAY JOB]

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Device doesn't tell me *what* it is. If it can make or receive calls, it's a phone.

I made this thread to try and solve a problem. Not to deal with someone trying to defend a purposely vague marketing word.

ROFL!

I shall tell my 8th grade students that one.

OT & P&CA
I love some of these cancel culture things, and now the word "device" should be cancelled?

Last edited:
Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Device without context, doesn't mean jack and squat. By that definition, my car is a device. My finger is a device. Someone's mom, is a device. It's nebulous to the point of being useless.

Phone? Tablet? Notebook? PC? No context needed; anyone should know *what* you're referring to.

Back on topic...

Looking off the top, kind of disappointed that there seems to be no update or newer build of Resurrection Remix, compatible with this phone, to try flashing to.

On the other end, there is Lineage... There never was an official release, no matter what XDA says. Every link that claims to be an official build just lists the unofficial builds. But those do start on a much newer build of Android.

My point of hesitation at this time, is that the site/guide(s) regarding OG Lineage, is that they seem to suggest that I need to flash *their* recovery image, whereas I'm well versed and used to TWRP. For any one with experience with Lineage, can i stick with TWRP or nah?

Upvote 0
Motorola? Ugh...

My last sealed battery phone was an mxpe, recommended by this very forum. Should I count the ways in which it's left me to die? Or just refuse to stay alive? Never mind that, when it came time to replace the battery, no repair shop would touch the phone. And by that point, Motorola was actively suing parts suppliers. So a complete kit that would have once been $15 usd was long gone, with the only thing left being Chinese knockoffs that sold for $50+ with none of the added components to make ot feasible to use.

I went with this v20 for two big reasons:
Extended batteries are available. Working for the district this summer, that's been a literal life saver.
Compatibility with multiple networks. Yes ,T-Mobile has been good to me thus far. But up to this point, the only phones I've ever been happy with, have all been those that were rootable and had an extended battery upgrade.

In retrospect, i also regularly use the sd card functionality, and the headphone jack. Reaching further back, i personally miss those slider keyboards, because even when gaming, they made a good approximation for a controller when emulating. Touch controls are a buzz kill for most of thw games I'm into.

No sealed battery phone, at any price, is justified. Because no sealed battery phome, regardless of model or price, has even survived a day with me on a full charge; let alone two months without developing problems that become expensive as Hell to deal with.

Unless the phone, from factory, comes with a 10k mAh battery or better, history has proven it won't even last a day on a charge. Period, end of.

Strange.
I just bought my ol'lady and I two different Motorola devices, and they both have removeable, replaceable batteries.

Oh, and they both last all day long.

For her, the better device along with the tempered glass screen protector, the rubber surround for the back and sides, and a leather carrying pouch came out to about $100 total.

Sure carrier locked device, but it is with her carrier that she has had for years and is happy with.

And as for my preference for the word device, there are two (maybe more) reasons for it.

I don't know why, but I have less errors when typing the word device as I do when typing the word phone. Less typos means less corrections, which means greater efficiency.

Also, I could put an app onto a tablet, and then make phone calls with a tablet.
Does the tablet magically now become a phone?
Or is it now a phone-like device?
Do I really want to type out 'tablet that can make phone calls' or 'tablet with phone capability'?

Calling these things devices is a simple way to group them all together, the same as when I call all Americans (I am one, btw) by that general name, instead of picking apart their technical geniology.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Motorola doesn't make any thing with a removable battery, either. None of them are sold that way. Their own marketing images make no such inclination.

Even if they were, the only supplier of replacement batteries, would be them. And they want to do that stupid clip on design that doesn't replace the internal battery.

Same problem with the Samsung Xcover pro. Because it's not a mainstream Galaxy, nobody wants to make an extended battery option for it. Nevermind that it doesn't have a 5g radio. The issue is that it's a Samsung, post explosive battery era. Until another company makes a battery for them, i wouldn't touch it with anything less than a bomb disposal suit around my person. There's also the notion of root, and how Samsung has been actively fighting against letting that be doable ever since they started making their primary phones, with sealed battery designs.

As i told the T-Mobile rep when i went in to pick up my freebie for the week, "why would i spend any money on a phone design i know is going to piss me off? Much less a design that's meant to keep me from repairing it?"

Google explicitly bought the Ara platform to shut it down; big surprise from a company that seems to be butthurt against sd cards and thinks everyone should just use the cloud for every thing. News flash: most people don't spend their working days huddled around the nearest electrical outlet and never out of range of a WiFi hotspot.

But because the idiots that do, are the ones who can afford to buy a new phone every month, anyone like me who wants their phone to last, has to suffer, right? :mad:

Upvote 0
Well, then- according to you, this very device in my hand- a Motorola e6- does not exist.

Ditto for the Motorola that I got for my ol'lady.

Spoiler alert- they do exist, and the batteries are simple, pop-out-of-the-rear (haha) type.

As for Samsung (Samdung), no love lost here. They can keep their gigantic OS and massive, steaming pile of Bixby and bloatware over there.

My first devices were all Motorola, and I am glad to be back with them.
Most of the built it poppycock was easily disabled as I was setting it up.
There was some that didn't rear its ugly head for a few days, but I have not seen any more on my device for quite a while.

These are crap from 'Moto', and Google, such as launchers, gestures, and other trivial automatic poop that I have no use for.

I am very picky about my devices, and want them the way that I want them.
That being said...
I don't want to spend good money on them, and I put the same utility apps on them all.

https://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e6-9682.php

Upvote 0
Screenshot_20210610-162609_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png
I find myself having an increasing peeve when people say "their phone lasts all day" when it clearly doesn't. So, money in mouth time.

What's your screen on time numbers look like? This is my present V20, with a 10k mAh extended battery, recorded by GSam. (See attached)

By my estimation, an SoT of 8 hours or more is enough to last an entire work day. 10 or more is gravy, since it would mean i don't have to touch the charger until I'm turning in for bed.

Spoiler alert: 3~5 isn't nearly enough. The mxpe went from 100% to dead in sixty *minutes* of Pokémon go.

Upvote 0
Cant give it to you today, as on my day off my devices are plugged in- any available data is worthless.

I can say that I was on an unplugged device fir about 3 hours earlier, constantly online and even gaming for about 30 minutes or so.

In that time, less than 20% of battery was used of a 3000mah battery.

I have to wonder- why on Earth is your screen active for so much time?
What is your brightness setting?

Auto brightness tends to actually use more juice, as there is a sensor involved, along with the constant changing of the setting.

On this device, 75% is as high as needed indoors, and at night if I am only typing then 25% is adequate.

Of course, outdoors generally requires 100%.

Tell you what- tomorrow I will try to not plug in the device that I actually use as a phone, and it also gets used for work.
Not continuously, but I do need to look things up occasionally.

Also, how is your service?
If you are in a spotty coverage area, then power demands will increase drastically.

And what about your background apps?
In developers options you can limit the number of these. Generally I do this to keep Google junk from running constantly.

At work I usually have halfway decent coverage, at least near my toolbox where the phone sits.
I usually use the shop's Wi-Fi for my online needs, and so leave mobile data off.
This is more to keep apps from eating up data needlessly, rather than to save battery.

The device that I am using at work is a real digital turd, a Z3351S- a very pathetic POS (not 'Personal Operating System' or 'Point Of Sale') with a battery of 2000mah.
My work environment makes such a device a necessity.
If it falls into the toilet, it is where it really belongs.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_20210610-174825_Settings.png Screenshot_20210610-174735_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png Screenshot_20210610-174713_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png

WiFi is... Not an option for me. At home, the Wi-Fi spectrum in the apartment complex is notoriously miserable. Case in point, i can be in my bedroom, with maybe one wall separating me from our personal router, and my Nintendo 3ds can't connect at all. The pc in said bedroom also had to be upgraded because most of mine would fail to connect from the same general area. And when your only ISP choices also do bandwidth caps, what's the use when the phone has unlimited data?

At work, it's not worth connecting to Wi-Fi, either. Overzealous blocking means that, even if work e-mail is served by gmail, it's blocked on any thing but a district PC. I can apparently access work e-mail from my phone as well, but they want me to enable fingerprints if i do. And given the awkward location for the sensor, I'd Rather not.

Safe to say, i use YouTube quite a bit; news content, memes, music... And now that I am on an Android 9 ROM (for context, the phone shipped with 7), i can now do picture in picture for YouTube or Twitch. And at home especially, if I'm streaming i some times use the phone to be able to monitor my stream dashboard and chat activity.

All I can say is that, since moving to Arizona, my phone battery life is maybe a third of what it was when I lived in Orlando. I used to regularly get four days without compromise on a Galaxy s3 with its extended battery and some above average community ROMs. Since moving here, even with an extended battery, i can't comfortably go for a second day on a single charge unless i deliberately *veg out*. So, unless i can afford to have cash to play (and win) the lottery, i don't see that changing for the better.

Some more stats from the phone. Debating on imaging the phone at present and maybe going from Resurrection Remix 7.0.2 to LineageOS 18.1. Still hoping that I can keep TWRP; it just nags on me that, it seems like (vanilla) Lineage wants you to use *their* recovery.

Upvote 0
Ditch YouTube.
It is a resource hog, and wastes your tine with ads.

Use NewPipe instead.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

Also, you state that the device came with 7, and is now running 9.

Does it seem possible that there are things that the newer OS is trying to do that cannot be accomplished in such an older device?

There are large differences between these OS.

Upvote 0
First, you are paying Google (owners of YouTube) to not watch ads.
You don't have to, NewPipe is free.

Second, a computer's OS is completely different.

And these mobile devices are by design only to last for a year.
We get about two to three because the batteries tend to last that long.
We can squeeze more than that out of them with replacement batteries, updates, and whatnot- but nothing changes the fact that the device is outdated.

Your device is old enough now that there is simply no way to make it as efficient as a new device.

Upvote 0
First, you are paying Google (owners of YouTube) to not watch ads.
You don't have to, NewPipe is free.

Second, a computer's OS is completely different.

And these mobile devices are by design only to last for a year.
We get about two to three because the batteries tend to last that long.
We can squeeze more than that out of them with replacement batteries, updates, and whatnot- but nothing changes the fact that the device is outdated.

Your device is old enough now that there is simply no way to make it as efficient as a new device.
Yet at this point in time, all I would have wanted, was a proper successor. Same design language... at most, a new radio to connect to 5G.

Until someone makes that, and a battery maker can give a high enough capacity upgrade, I literally can't be arsed to care what phone makers do deign to give us. But not having an agreeable option at any price point, is a problem. And I refuse to settle, for as good as that did me when I tried to settle with the MXPE. Never again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones