1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Unwanted App Installation Request

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by talktome322, Feb 1, 2014.

1. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    Hi I own Xperia P and have a strange problem, Few App installation request come popping up every 5 mins. These Apps request are

Teebik Compass
    Teebik Flashlight
    File Manager
    Mobogienie

Its very annoying, as when I am working it just pops up and I have to cancel them always. Any solution for this

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    We might be able to give a more precise answer if we knew what form these "requests" take: notifications, a browser pop-up, or...? But since we don't, here are a couple of guesses:

If it comes up when you are using a particular app, it may be an interstitial ad in that app (an ad that's supposed to appear between screens). In which case the only solution might be to try a different app for that purpose (unless there is a paid version which doesn't include ads).

Or if it only appears when you are web browsing it's probably one of the sites you are visiting (or their ad-hosting company). Mobogenie is particularly bad for trying to push itself this way.

If it comes up at random times, or not when using any particular app, it may mean that you have an app installed that includes "push advertising". That practice has now been banned from the Play Store, but if you have something which pre-dates that ban, or installed it from somewhere else, this is still possible. So I'd suggest using one of several apps which can scan for apps using "push advertising" or "push notifications". This will tell you which app is responsible for these ads, and you can then eliminate them by uninstalling that app.

There is another thread here, which gives you more details on what I said above: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...s-unwanted-shortcuts-browsers-redirected.html

scary alien and funkylogik like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You know that it's a push notification?

What form does this pop-up take? If it's in the notification pull-down, you can long-press on it and select "App Info", which should tell you what app is responsible.

4. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    No it does not comes in notification bar, Its just a App install request generating automatically. Where I have two options CANCEL and INSTALL, and I press cancel always. But 4 applications asking at same time after interval of 5-10 mins. and I have to press cancel every time. If i dont see for an hour I have to cancel 10-15 notifications to install

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Check your Download folder and see whether there are any apk files downloaded to there.

Every 10 minutes is way beyond the norm for a push ad! Since you are registered (and I really should be doing something else right now! ;)) I'll ask one of the mods whether they could move this discussion to the main forum, so that more people see it. That may be the quickest way to get a resolution.

scary alien likes this.
  6. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    Yes there were some apps in the Download folder which I have deleted, Hope this solves. Is there any way to attach pictures in this forum where I can send screen shots of my mobile.

7. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    I am getting the Push Notifications, I have installed different Apps for identifying the App responsible for this. But no success till now I am still getting these notifications to install Apps.

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Welcome to Android Forums talktome.:)

I moved this to the Android Lounge for a broader audience. That is a situation I haven't heard of before. Hopefully someone in here will have some ideas.

Hadron likes this.
  9. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are two pics for the reference.... I am really struggling with it. These popus come every now and then and I have to cancel

10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Ahhh, mobogenie market. I think you have to remove that to get rid of the downloads. I'm not sure if it is a simple uninstall or if there is more to it. It seems a nastly little ploy from what I can see. I'm not around much for the next few hours. If no one has figured it out, I'll google around for some removal steps later on tonight.:)

scary alien and funkylogik like this.
  11. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    I have never installed this in my mobile, so how it come. And what is the reason for other one Teebit these are really annoying :(

Unforgiven likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    talktome322 likes this.
  13. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You sure don't want to install those apps! Even an ad-supported flashlight does not need all of those permissions: full access to your contacts, messages, storage, location, what apps you have, can start itself on boot and has full internet access. Even if it weren't being pushed by nefarious means to your phone I'd advise anyone to avoid an app like that.

Do you have the option to install apps from third party sources enabled? If so, until this is resolved I'd disable it. This isn't from the Play Store, so that ought to stop it installing if you were to accidentally hit the wrong button.

I've found a number of threads about mobogenie using dodgy means to try to download and install. None quite matches this one though, and I've not tracked down a solution yet. :(

There's alway the nuclear option: back up important data and factory reset. That should fix it. Then reinstall apps gradually, in case it's one of your existing apps that's responsible. Trouble is, that's very inconvenient, so it would be better if we could track down what's causing it.

14. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    Looking at the links Unforgiven provided it seems like a simple uninstall of the Mobogenie app from the phone is all that should be needed to get rid of it; how it got there is another matter of course.

15. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I also suggest disabling downloads form Unknown sources at least for now.

The other suggestion is excellent and came in while I was typing. The following will probably be unneeded.

Before resorting to a Factory Data Reset you could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them). If the problem stops then you know the problem is an app that you added

It is probably one from an unknown source so try uninstalling them one at a time and reboot between each uninstall. Continue until it stops.

... Thom

16. talktome322

talktome322 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    Well Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I hope the problem is solved. There was an App which i recently installed Illumination Bar (For Xperia Notification) I have uninstalled that, and now the notifications not come. Hope it got solved.
    Thnx a lot for your kind help.
    Kishor

Hadron, scary alien and funkylogik like this.
  17. anjamul

anjamul Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2014
    I am facing the same problem and thanks for the information... Lets try... In my case apps to force installation are PPTV, & some taiwanis apps ..trying to get rid by following your instructions

18. riches2rags

riches2rags Lurker
    None

May 1, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur, big pimpin spendin g's
    San Jose, CA
    just started on my galaxy s3. A real pita 8

19. anjamul

anjamul Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2014
    My problem has been resolved after removing some apps, don no which one was the cause of this push installing requests. Thanks again for your nice instructions and sharing...