• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unwanted applications

There are many many post about this.

Yes there is at least 1 app on the market that does this.

Do you need that app ?
Most long time Android users and developers will tell you no.

Why ?
AndroidOs will close apps when it needs to. That the way its made to run.
Apps like this can do harm to your system.

Having an app "running" doesnt mean it is using resorces. It is however being held in a ready to go "state" so if you need it it will load faster. If you use alot of other apps and then check "running apps" you will notice the list has changed. This is AndroidOs doing its job.

Sure the apps mentioned take up space on the phone, but if you have not used them they are not "OPEN and RUNNING". They are however ready to be used. My advice would be to just let them be until you can SAFELY uninstall them, without fear of harming your phone.

Reactions: seancojr
Upvote 0

Do you need that app ?

Why ?

Having an app "running" doesnt mean it is using resorces. It is however being held in a ready to go "state" so if you need it it will load faster. If you use alot of other apps and then check "running apps" you will notice the list has changed. This is AndroidOs doing its job.

Sure the apps mentioned take up space on the phone, but if you have not used them they are not "OPEN and RUNNING". They are however ready to be used. My advice would be to just let them be until you can SAFELY uninstall them, without fear of harming your phone.

Agree 100%, listen to this user's advice.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't think I'll ever use "Amazon MP3", and I flat out don't want it. What, you're saying that it's linked to a native app's function, and held "ready to run? Maybe I should start a thread on it somewhere, but I feel that one, along with corporate calendar are junk on mine. Beside, I should be able to d/l them someday if I ever did want them.

Amazon getting into bed with Verizon and Motorola is fine; let 'em have the app installed on my phone when I buy it. I just want to be able to get rid of it.

Upvote 0

Do you need that app ?

Why ?

I have the same problem - although I agree that they dont slow down the phone I still dont want them running at all

there is no reason to have the amazonmp3 running if I will never use this app - or the DRM service running if I will never use anything with DRM!

if I have to root to get rid of this crap thats what I will do because again I dont care if it dont slow my phone down - hell it could even make it faster, I dont care this is my phone and I should have the right to determine what is running and whats not

Upvote 0

Do you need that app ?

Why ?

Also: if you remove some pre-installed apps, like GTalk, some other apps won't work anymore. If you remove GMail nothing will work anymore...
Removing those apps can only be done on rooted phones.
This is one reason why rooting is not advised for normal users.

Upvote 0
I find some of the apps offensive and they take up memory. It's offensive since the phone MFG are assuming I want a social phone! Also, being a privacy buff, how do I know that some other app won't trigger Latitude or any other sharing app? I've found Doubletwist running, told it not to update, and it will still turn up. Phones can make Gtalk and Gmail non-removable and leave the rest up to the users discretion!
Is someone getting a cut on these installed apps like the preloaded junk on some computers?
Z

Upvote 0
Also: if you remove some pre-installed apps, like GTalk, some other apps won't work anymore. If you remove GMail nothing will work anymore...
Removing those apps can only be done on rooted phones.
This is one reason why rooting is not advised for normal users.

thats stupid, who would remove the gtalk or gmail - then why did you get a "google phone"?

what I am saying is just like with a computer that you buy, it always comes with crap installed on it that you dont want, but you can remove it if you want to - but since its Windows and being a Microsoft OS and all, if you try to remove something like say "Internet Explorer" or "Explorer" you will have a computer that wont work properly at all, this is because IE and Explorer are tied into Windows, you have to use Explorer or you cant look at anything and IE can be just ignored and never used (although it is needed for some reason because all the methods that remove it always cause problems - except for that one copy that MS put out without it for the EU, wonder how you install a web browser if you dont have one, lol), set Firefox or something else as default and you are all set

so its the same with these phones - you just not use gmail because for some reason you bought a google phone and dont have a gmail account (what no yahoo phone, arrg!) and want to use yahoo or something else maybe Bing (then just get ther verizon galaxy s you will love that) or whatever then you can just use the normal email app and be all set - the thing is the gmail app probably handles all the in/out of email traffic even if you arent using a gmail account so thats why if you remove it things dont work

but there is no reason I have to have half of the things running that are running - there is no reason why I cant be asked every time that a data transfer is happening unless its a sync thing for an app that I allow - I want an "opt in" type of situation for things to access my info and give it out, not the other way around and then not even allow me to stop it

If you do not want to see the Apps in your app Drawer you can install Launcher Pro and there is an option to hide app icons that you don't want to see. I have done this with Amazon MP3 as well as some other Apps that came pre-installed and I never use.

you probably just sweep dirt under the rug because if its out of sight its not there anymore and cant cause problems - you just dont get it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones