• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unwanted apps

Dave784

Aug 5, 2021
Hi

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but gonna ask anyways.

Is there any way to remove unwanted apps that the manufacturer put on my tablet as they do just waste space on my limited storage.

Like Samsung just adds Netflix as they probably get paid to put it on there but I am not paid to keep it on my tablet and I don't even have or want a Netflix account. so it is just wasting valuable space.

Is there any way to remove apps like these???

Usually, no. On most devices pre-installed apps are installed to the system partition, which you don't have write access to. That said, the system partition wouldn't shrink if you did remove them, so you wouldn't be able to use any space freed on that partition anyway.

Updates to these apps, and data stored by them, do eat your space. So you can generally save some space by clearing their data, uninstalling any updates and disabling them (which prevents them running or updating). Note that in principle disabling should clear the data and remove updates for you, but I don't wholly trust that now since (as mentioned below) storage use by disabled apps has changed in recent years.

Two caveats here: (1) I've known manufacturers, specifically Samsung, prevent disabling of bloat they were paid to install, and some US service providers are guilty of this with the apps they add to their devices too (if you buy through a service provider they get to add crap to the system as well as the manufacturer). And (2) in recent Android versions disabled apps still use some storage even when disabled (which did not use to be the case). I personally regard this as an example of Google putting their convenience above the user's desires (partly because it must be them who changed it, partly because all of my disabled apps were written by Google).

There have at times been Samsung-specific bloat removal apps, but as I don't currently have a Samsung device that I use I don't know their status these days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes.
Hi

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but gonna ask anyways.

Is there any way to remove unwanted apps that the manufacturer put on my tablet as they do just waste space on my limited storage.

Like Samsung just adds Netflix as they probably get paid to put it on there but I am not paid to keep it on my tablet and I don't even have or want a Netflix account. so it is just wasting valuable space.

Is there any way to remove apps like these???
There is an utility used on your P.C. or Mac for removing apps form operation but not completely from the system. If the Android device is system defaulted the preinstalled apps reappear. The service is called adb.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Actually,
ohhhhh this is nice!!!!!

first time seeing this. gonna have to bookmark this.

thanx for posting this.

Actually, I found it here in Android Forums in another thread.

I forwarded it to a friend in Europe that is the one who told me about the ADB way of eliminating bloatware.

He tried it out and loves it, he even used it on his dad's phone.

It does the same thing as ADB, but has a nice, simple UI and makes it like an app.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones