1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

unwanted apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by KevinG-CST, Aug 19, 2012.

1. KevinG-CST

KevinG-CST Lurker

My phone came with several preloaded apps, I can't seem to delete them. I constantly have the notification that there are updates availlable (under manual updates), but I don't want these apps on my phone in the first place. How can I get rid of them from the phone or at the very least tell the phone to ignore updates for these apps? None of the apps are listed in the system/apps section, so I can't select them to delete.

Apps include: Facebook for Android, Google Play Movies & TV, Netflix.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

You will have to root your phone to get rid of the pre-installed apps. Let me offer a word of caution. Many apps provide services for other parts of the OS and if you remove them, you can disable certain features or make your phone unusable. More importantly, system apps are not easily restorable like simply installing an .apk file. And once deleted, even a factory reset will not recover them. You will have to locate and flash a stock rom image to get them back. If you plan on rooting and deleting those apps, please check back here first before you do anything so we can make sure it's safe for you to delete those without any negative impact to your phone. The better alternative to deleting them is to freeze them with Titanium backup.

If you can let us know which phone, carrier and android version you have, we can direct you to the right place for information on how to do that.

3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

Root your phone, and then freeze the apps in question. If anything stops working, just defrost and live with it. Many replacement launchers let you remove app icons from the app drawer... and this doesn't require rooting or anything special. It's not as good as rooting/freezing, but it at least gets them out of your face.

4. airwolf85

airwolf85 Lurker

I like "lunatic59"'s response, here. The question was exactly the one I had. I'll try the "Titanium Freeze", and see if that works. Not got my HTC Raider 4G LTE "rooted". From what I've read, that's quite risky. I now have 3 apps that are going to kee popping up with updates I don't need (inc Facebook!). Grrr! Additional suggestions welcome.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Titanium requires root, so you do need that before you can freeze (apologies if that was already clear).