1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unwanted music, unwanted icon change

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by saluqi, Jul 10, 2016.

1. saluqi

saluqi Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2016
    Male
    Samsung Galaxy S5, T-Mobile, 32 GB memory card. Bluetooth paired w/ Motorola Elite Flip earpiece; a Samsung Rugby cell phone, AT&T, is also paired with the same earpiece (S5 is my private phone, Rugby is my barebones work cell phone; I am GM of a California water district). The questions below pertain to the Galaxy S5.

Problem #1: nearly every time I make or receive a call on either phone, after hanging up my S5 begins to play the same insipid piece of music, called "Over the Horizon" or something like that. Is there some way to turn off/disable that behavior? I like to choose my own music - being a classically trained pianist and guitarist - and don't need anything in my ear while I'm trying to manage a fairly hectic Government agency.

Problem #2: T-Mobile installed a big update yesterday. Almost all icons now have the same "soft cornered square" format - which makes them hard to distinguish under unfavorable light conditions, such as bright sunlight. The previous icons were recognizable by their distinctive shape - for instance the "camera" one that I use often in the field to document repairs to water mains, etc. Now, under unfavorable light conditions, I can distinguish the icons only by their location - which is not ideal for things you don't use often enough to have memorized their location. The newly "prettified" icons are NOT an improvement.

So what are the options for dealing with provider-supplied updates, as distinct from Samsung updates? and how do you tell which is which, before they happen? Or to put it a different way, how do I acquire some control over just how my smartphone is "tweaked"? I do recognize that's a big question.

I am a novice to the finer details of Android software and devices, but not to computers generally. I even wrote software for a living - some years ago, to be sure. FWIW I have the Steve Schwartz book on hand. Some things I don't even try to do on the smartphone - for instance, edit photographs. I'm a semi-pro photographer so my desktop machine is set up for photo editing - including many TB of external storage.

Thanks for enlightenment!

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    1- install a new dialer app from the play store, there are many so try them out.
    2 - if you want a different icon pack, you need a different launcher, Nova launcher from the play store, and install it. Next, you'll need an icon pack, again, play store. Try them out, and get to know your Android.

3. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    Just change your ringtone.