• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unwanted png files

hadron thanks for replying, the phones plugged in to computer using the phones 'disk drive' .
I've taken 2 pictures which ive uploaded to the computer but another 38 png files were uploaded which 8 are screen shots of web pages i visit , 20 are cartoon icons like of a car , shopping basket, knife n fork ect ect , then there's small pics of people, places & items ive never took .
once on my computer and i delete them they re appear on the next upload from the phone but if i keep them then only a few more will upload .
How can i get them off the phone ?

Upvote 0
I guess the first question is whether you can find them on the phone in order to remove them? By the sound of them they may be icons from some app (calendar, folder app, or something). Photos could be from a web cache, or a social networking app, or... well I'm guessing here, but the idea is that there are ways images can get onto the phone without you taking them.

But what is pushing them to the computer? Are you running some sort of sync software, or letting the computer automatically copy image files? I just copy files by drag and drop, so it's just the files I want get, but that may be less convenient.

Upvote 0
As i'm aware of i'm not using any syncing software , i just plug the phone into the computer which then asks 'import images' ( or pictures/photo's i cant remember ) and then it uploads . i've posted a screen shot of the pictures from the phone which shows the icons & pics that i never took which keep re appearing if they are deleted from my pictures folder .
lki.jpg picture by dribbly1 - Photobucket
How do you copy files & drag and drop your pictures , i feel this will be less annoying in the long run .

Upvote 0
Well if I'm honest I actually use a command line (I'm a bit old school when it comes to computers). But you'd drag and drop the same way you would with files on a usb memory stick - I've always thought the simplest was to open 2 file explorer windows, navigate one of then to the folder on the sd card containing the images, the other to the folder I want to copy them to, then drag the files I want from one to the other.

Reactions: jodie8
Upvote 0
i still dont actually know what you mean , when you plug the phone into the computer what do you select hard drive' , sync or tethering ?
Anyway ive gone into the phone and found 2 folders which when opened had most of the unwanted pices in , 1 was 'htc news' & the other was 'bookmarks' , ive deleted both and uploaded some pics to the computer and didnt have any unwanted png files so , i'll have to see how it goes ..
Really appreciate your time in helping , thanks Hadron

Upvote 0
If you're selecting import images then that's probably why your get all the pngs, windows is just importing any images files, these are just cached from those apps HTC apps. Select disk drive then go to DCIM and a folder that's probably 100Android or something along those lines and your images you've take should be in there

Reactions: jodie8
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones