1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

unwanted text every day

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nickdalzell, Oct 18, 2014.

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

When I got my G3, I had to add a line to keep my number on my Convoy 3 so I made the G3 the new line, so it's a new number. I use the phone for one thing--syncing my watch and as a mini tablet for times when i'm out and without a laptop and need to get online.

The new number is getting a text from 'Moneynetwork.com' every day telling me my 'balance is $0.00 as of October [insert date here]' and I tried texting 'stop' or 'st' or telling them they got the wrong number. the texts still come in every day. I have to delete them each time or I keep getting notified and they fill up the SMS inbox. I had to resort to disabling all in-built messaging apps (including Message+ and Hangouts) to keep from being nagged about a nonexistent credit card. there appears to be zero feature to block texts from a specific number. Verizon can only disable all incoming texts or allow all incoming texts. I want to be able to text but block this specific one. there is no way to stop it that I know of.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I don't know about other texting apps, but Hangouts does let you block specific numbers. Go into the conversation, then the settings, People & Options, and then there should be an option to block the number.

3. nickdalzell

when i tried to load Hangouts it wanted to send a text message to confirm it or something. I don't like that. the last thing I need is more text spam. it used to simply ask to activate SMS. but i'm not interested in using a Google app much less one to text with. I want to find out how to block the sender specifically and continue to use the nice LG app. perhaps I can ask Verizon a few more questions when I go to pay my bill.

I really don't like Google nor their apps and they tend to have issues connecting (Play Store still tells me things like no connection or download error 927 despite perfect 4G signal) and they eat through battery and CPU. disabling all the Google apps tends to make the phone far faster. I really prefer to keep it that way.

4. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

From my brief searching, that may not be possible through LG's texting app. Verizon does have a feature that is supposed to block specific numbers though.

Not sure if I recall Hangouts ever asking to send an SMS. Maybe for the Voice integration to verify the number, but it never lead to anything else.

5. nickdalzell

I swore the owners guide I downloaded through Smart Tips mentioned blocking but I swear I cannot seem to find it. Perhaps they pulled a Google and buried it under a gesture. God I hate that.

6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

You don't suppose the new number you got was someone else's number who had an account with, or the app for, moneynetwork.com? :dontknow:

7. nickdalzell

Actually that is my guess. It doesn't help me get rid of the unwanted texts any faster though. I seem to be without any means unless I kill texting entirely on this line. I tried all the standard fare such as replying STOP and the like to no avail.

8. Mikestony

VIP Member

Hmmmmm, is there a contact number at moneynetwork you can call?
    That's gotta be real annoying for sure!

9. nickdalzell

The text comes from no number. It shows the ID as an email address but is definitely sent via SMS. I don't use the thing as a phone so maybe they can give it a new number?

Contact ID is email-notify@moneynetwork.com

10. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

This Verizon help page looks like what you want to block calls and text from certain numbers, but you have to reset it every 90 days:

Call and Message Blocking - My Verizon

EDIT: you ninja'd me while I was searching for a solution.

11. nickdalzell

The text has no number though making it harder. It shows up as an email address despite being sent via SMS

12. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

funkylogik and nickdalzell like this.
  13. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

E-mail to SMS has been around for years. They do have to know your carrier though. Since this is a new line, I assume the last person to have your number might have been enrolled in their service.

14. Mikestony

VIP Member

Well the last thing I can suggest is trying to contact them.
    I did some digging but only can come up with these:

First Data Corporation looks to be the dev of the app at least.
    The homepage with some phone numbers is here:
    https://www.firstdata.com/en_us/contact.html

Homepage for the MoneyNetwork (I couldn't find any contact info there but fwiw):
    First Data: Money Network

App dev email:
    MNmobile@moneynetwork.com

App itself fwiw:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ata.moneynetwork&feature=search_result#?t=W10

The cards for MoneyNetwork are issued by MetaBank:
    https://www.metabank.com/cards

funkylogik likes this.
  15. nickdalzell

Contacting money network might be a lost cause seeing as they would likely want the account info before adjusting email or other notification settings and I certainly don't have any of that.

I might try that link suggested above about blocking web domain texts though. Worst case scenario just change the number of the line through Verizon.

Mikestony likes this.