1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

UoT Kitchen, a quick Tutorial (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brotherswing, Dec 30, 2011.

1. brotherswing

brotherswing Android Expert

Several members have requested a tutorial for how to use the UoT Kitchen, so here you go. ;) This is geared toward the BACKside ROM. Due to differences in ROMs your cooking time may need to be adjusted. :D

Be prepared, it will take at least a half an hour of your time.
    Be careful, if you accidentally click the wrong link, your work will be lost.

Pre Themeing Checklist:
    You will need the ROM you're trying to theme, 7zip (or a comparable compression utility), and a notepad (any will do). Also, it helps to have a clear idea of what you want to create. There are a lot of options in the kitchen, and if you don't know what you're after it's easy to get bogged down.

Let's begin, shall we?
    Before you even load the Kitchen, create a temporary folder for your work. Place a copy of your ROM here. Use 7zip (or whatever) to unzip it here. You'll see why in a moment. Now, fire up the Kitchen.

When you start the Kitchen you will see this:
    [​IMG]

Breakdown of the Kitchen
    The Kitchen is broken up into tabs, like a browser. Notice how it starts at the summary tab, and everything is white? We'll be coming back to this later. For now, let's start with the tab labeled "Battery." In every mod of the Kitchen there is a checkbox, to select whether to use it or not. Select the check box if you want to theme the battery indicator.
    There really isn't a lot to this, you can use any combination of icons and settings without issue, except we use a CM7 ROM, not MIUI. Do not use any settings for MIUI.

[​IMG]
    Notice the preview hasn't rendered? That happens quite a bit, so you need to be patient. Also note that the color selections are in hex format. This is where the notepad comes in. I usually use three colors in my themes, a main as well as one a bit lighter and one a bit darker. Note the hex codes for your colors with the notepad, for easy copy and paste operations. This way you will have consistent colors across your theme.
    Like so:

[​IMG]

The reason I use three shades per theme is for the pop ups, volume bars, and sliders. All of these options will let you use three or more colors. I like to assign the darkest shade for the top and bottom colors, and the lightest for the center in my volume bars. This creates a touch of a 3D illusion.
    Now feel free to go wild with the modules of the kitchen, but two warnings.
    Do not use an animated background for the notification area. This will crash the status bar, and you'll have no notifications.
    Be careful when selecting the place for your bootanimation.

[​IMG]

We have a Cyanogen based ROM. Choosing the wrong location will result in a bootanimation that can't be changed later (without jumping through a buch of hoops! Solution at the bottom of the post.)

One other thing, there are places in the Kitchen that need to know if your phone is HDPI, MDPI, or LDPI. The OV is a MDPI phone.

After you are satisfied with your work, go to the file upload tab.

[​IMG]

Don't be intimidated by settings you don't understand, just set them like mine (if they aren't already, these are the defaults). You will need to upload two files, that's why the unzipped ROM back at the beginning. For the framework-res.apk, you will find it in /system/framework, for SystemUi.apk, you will find it in /system/apps.

You also have the option of downloading your settings to a file. This makes for easy updating in the future. If you forget to save your settings, don't panic. Look inside your uot zip file with 7zip, and you'll find it in the folder called (what else) /settings.

Once those are uploaded you can go to the summary tab. Everything should be green or white (if you didn't use it) like so:

[​IMG]

Now you are ready to click submit. :D You should see something like this:

[​IMG]

General Tips

It's easy to go overboard. Think of the impact of not just the preview you're looking at, but of all of your customizations at once. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

If you are working on several themes at the same time, make note of the UoT number. Now go to the pick up page, and wait for your number to come up. Now you can download it for testing. It isn't unusual for me to re-cook a theme three or four times, to get it just right. If you are satisfied, it's time to give it a descriptive name, upload to something like Mediafire, put some screen shots on Photobucket, and post it here!

If you are updating a theme, just upload your uot file in the settings tab. Note - For some odd reason, the Kitchen doesn't seem to save icon settings. You need to reset that every time. At least I do, might just be me.

Forget to save your settings? Like a theme by someone else, and want to do a remix? Please remember to give proper credit to the original theme author.
    Open the theme zip file with 7zip (or similar) and look for the folder "settings", your uot file will be in the root of that folder.

Want to use a boot animation other than whats in the kitchen? Make your own with this nifty tool, and want to use it?
    Again, with 7zip (or similar) open your theme zip file. Navigate to /system/media where you'll find a file named bootanimation.zip. Guess what that is? :) Overwrite this with your custom file renamed to bootanimation.zip. Now you need to resign your zip, or it won't install.

Have a boot animation that just won't go away? Tried flashing new themes, and boot animation changers with no effect?
    Use ES File Explorer (or similar) and navigate to /data/local. Delete the bootanimation.zip. Reboot and enjoy!

Feel free to ask questions, or make observations. I will continue to edit and tweak this guide, and I welcome your feed back.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

Is there a way to use the kitchen even though all I have is my phone?
    I've used it many times with a PC, just can't seem to get it to work with just the phone.

3. roym6

roym6 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Very detailed and helpful. Will give it a go when I get home :D

4. brotherswing

Not that I know of, but it would depend heavily on your browser (and the user agent setting). I think Dolphin HD might be able to, based on what others have said about it, but I have not tested it myself.

Edit:: The kitchen is doing some advanced coding, even though the heavy lifting is all done server side. Your phone could do it, but it would have to be running a full browser. Possibly Firefox, but that won't run on our processor. One of the few things about my OV that I'd like to improve on. Since that's a hardware thing, all I can do is content myself with the great phone I have now, until it's time to retire it. That will be years from now.

5. AndyOpie150

I'll have to try again.

6. weddle

weddle Android Enthusiast

I could never figure out how to get my phone to upload the necessary files to do anything in the kitchen. The ony thing i could do via my phone was change the bootanimation. Although i guess it could be different on a different browser, i was using stock.

7. brotherswing

The file upload is some of the coding our browsers can't handle. You can make themes of bootanimations and fonts, those don't require the apk upload. That's about it. That's why you need a heavier browser.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  8. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

The only reason the file upload doesn't work on our phones is because it isn't coded to. I'm fairly certain it could be done with little pain using browser detection scripts. A polite email to the UOT Kitchen dev (along with a small donation ;) ) might help.

brotherswing and AndyOpie150 like this.
  9. brotherswing

Just found this. I feel redundant now. ;)
    http://androidforums.com/android-themes/347967-tutorial-theming-walkthrough-v-1-a.html

10. G19

G19 Android Enthusiast

Great writeup. Thanks

11. AndyOpie150

Now we got a theme tutorial just for the "V" though.

12. brotherswing

13. roym6

roym6 Well-Known Member

I prefer yours though

brotherswing likes this.
  14. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

brotherswing likes this.
  15. PerkinsII

PerkinsII Android Enthusiast

16. Atma

Atma Extreme Android User

brotherswing thanks for the tutorial! I'm gonna try it out.

Is there another link for the RegawMOD Zip Signer? I click on the link where it says Latest Release Version 1.0 but I get a 404 not found.

btw, how do I remove a theme I've installed from recovery?

17. brotherswing

Not sure where it went, I'll put it up on my mediafire page and post a link. I make a point to always link to someone's pages about tools instead of the files themselves. That way the dev always gets credit. This time I'll make an exception.

To revert back to stock, cook up an empty theme, and flash that.

Atma likes this.
  18. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

brotherswing likes this.
  19. Atma

Anyone working in the kitchen today? I can't upload framework-res.apk or SystemUI.apk. I keep getting System (IO) Error. I can upload settings.uot but not the other two. Is it a problem with the kitchen server?

20. brotherswing

Possibly, I haven't been in there today. Your best bet is to hit the XDA forum thread for it (the link is in the lower right corner of the welcome page) and see if others are having the same problem.

Atma likes this.
  21. Atma

Thanks, I'm not the only one. :)

22. Atma

I'm working on my first theme ever. I call it Crimson|Backside. I wanted a red one to go with the DigitalSoul theme I downloaded.

Love the red theme. Here's the lockscreen of Crimson|Backside.

* pics deleted because I don't know where they are anymore :D *

The problem I'm having is some menus have black text and you can't read it.

Can I change that in the kitchen? I've looked but can't see where?

Still need to do some (lots) :p tweaking. The notification dropdown looks great. Wish I could take a screenshot but it disappears when I hold down the power button to get a screen.

Thanks for the tutorial brotherswing. :)

frostyon420 likes this.
  23. brotherswing

Yes, you can change the text color, but I don't remember where in the kitchen it is...

24. Atma

The only thing I can find is under the status bar tab and notification section. Apparently that doesn't affect these sub-menus.

25. brotherswing

Nope, that's in the popup tab.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews