• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UoT Kitchen, a quick Tutorial (pic heavy)

I'm working on my first theme ever. I call it Crimson|Backside. I wanted a red one to go with the DigitalSoul theme I downloaded.

DigitalSoul.png

Love the red theme. Here's the lockscreen of Crimson|Backside.

lockscreen.png

The problem I'm having is some menus have black text and you can't read it.
blacktext.png

Can I change that in the kitchen? I've looked but can't see where?

Still need to do some (lots) :p tweaking. The notification dropdown looks great. Wish I could take a screenshot but it disappears when I hold down the power button to get a screen.

Thanks for the tutorial brotherswing. :)
To take a screenshot of the dropdown, press the screnshot button in the power menu, then quickly pull down the dropdown. If you are quick enough, it should work. ;)

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
You will need to upload two files, that's why the unzipped ROM back at the beginning. For the framework-res.apk, you will find it in /system/framework, for SystemUi.apk, you will find it in /system/apps.
This step is giving me grief... :eek:
I've read it and reread it, but my brain just can't comprehend what it's saying...
Any help to translate this into Noob (if that's possible...) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
This step is giving me grief... :eek:
I've read it and reread it, but my brain just can't comprehend what it's saying...
Any help to translate this into Noob (if that's possible...) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
You need to pull the framework-res.apk from the ROM and the The SystemUI.apk as well. Then you need to put them on the the root of the C:drive (just to make it easier to find them in UOT kitchen latter). When you get to the point in UOT kitchen where they ask you to upload them select the option. It will open up in your PC. Just go to the C:drive and scroll till you see them. Does that make it easier to understand?

Upvote 0
You need to pull the framework-res.apk from the ROM and the The SystemUI.apk as well. Then you need to put them on the the root of the C:drive (just to make it easier to find them in UOT kitchen latter). When you get to the point in UOT kitchen where they ask you to upload them select the option. It will open up in your PC. Just go to the C:drive and scroll till you see them. Does that make it easier to understand?

Explain all that to him a bit more in depth, Andy. Like, how do you "pull" those apk files, and what is meant by "root of the C drive".

Respectfully speaking; when you're trying to teach people on the net that you do not know (especially those where you don't know their experience level), you have to assume that they need even the most basic of things explained in great detail. Whereas with me, you already know I know my way around a zip file and my PC so you would skip the obvious details.

No offense meant. Just trying to help.

Upvote 0
Explain all that to him a bit more in depth, Andy. Like, how do you "pull" those apk files, and what is meant by "root of the C drive".

Respectfully speaking; when you're trying to teach people on the net that you do not know (especially those where you don't know their experience level), you have to assume that they need even the most basic of things explained in great detail. Whereas with me, you already know I know my way around a zip file and my PC so you would skip the obvious details.

No offense meant. Just trying to help.
I try not to do that any more. There is a fine line when giving info. To much and they might think badly of you (they think you are calling them stupid, when in fact there just lacking the proper info).
To little and they think you don't care.
I try to judge how deep I need to go. If more is required I will easily give more info. If Encerspray needs more info he will ask for it, of that I'm sure.

Once his level of experience has been established, any info given will be based on that.

If for some reason you think I left out some info that will help (we all need to work together as a team to help members), then you know all you have to do is post that info for the member.
I forget info that others might remember, and vice a versa.
Maybe you saw something in his post that I missed? Jump in there and let him know what you think he needs. Don't let me get in the way.

Upvote 0
I try not to do that any more. There is a fine line when giving info. To much and they might think badly of you (they think you are calling them stupid, when in fact there just lacking the proper info).
To little and they think you don't care.
I try to judge how deep I need to go. If more is required I will easily give more info. If Encerspray needs more info he will ask for it, of that I'm sure.

Once his level of experience has been established, any info given will be based on that.

If for some reason you think I left out some info that will help (we all need to work together as a team to help members), then you know all you have to do is post that info for the member.
I forget info that others might remember, and vice a versa.
Maybe you saw something in his post that I missed? Jump in there and let him know what you think he needs. Don't let me get in the way.

It wasn't Encerspay in particular, was just speaking in general. Sometimes you're rather vague is all.

Never worry about weather or not you're giving too much info. I find people, in general, appreciate it even if the info is too much. Just an old habit I picked up in the years I spent writing pixel graphic tutorials.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
Its really isn't that difficult to do. I tried awhile back but for some reason anything I did wouldnt be compiled by uot so I said eff it....I then tried again about a week ago and I had no issues at all lol even my pickup was speedy.

Well I was in the Kitchen recently and constructed a pretty nice theme... picked it up, put it on the SD, and off to recovery I went! It aborted the installation, so apparently I did something wrong.
And now I'm inspired to go back and try again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones