• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UOT KITCHEN error

I keep trying to move all the apk files but I am always given and access denied. Is there a special way of moving the apk files maybe in root explorer or something like that??

It's easiest to do from a computer. I use 7zip. You just open the installer.zip as an archive and drag and drop the files from the uot.zip (that you unzipped) into it

a far as doing it on the phone itself goes, i don't have root explorer to test it. I use ES File Explorer.

To do it using es:
- Copy both goes to the same folder (for ease of access)
- Long press the uot.zip
- Press more
- Select Extract To
- Press ok

- Repeat for the installer.zip

You should now have two folders

One called installer, the other with the name of your uot.zip

- Copy the apks from the uot folder into the appropriate folders inside the installer folder

- Now, inside the installer folder, long press the META-INF folder. It should now have a check mark on the right hand side.

- Tap the system folder
(now both META-INF and system should be selected)

- Press more
- Select compress
- Choose a name for your zip
(NOTE: do NOT add .zip to the name or you will end up with name.zip.zip)
- Press ok

You now have successfully created a flashable zip of your theme

Upvote 0
It's easiest to do from a computer. I use 7zip. You just open the installer.zip as an archive and drag and drop the files from the uot.zip (that you unzipped) into it

a far as doing it on the phone itself goes, i don't have root explorer to test it. I use ES File Explorer.

To do it using es:
- Copy both goes to the same folder (for ease of access)
- Long press the uot.zip
- Press more
- Select Extract To
- Press ok

- Repeat for the installer.zip

You should now have two folders

One called installer, the other with the name of your uot.zip

- Copy the apks from the uot folder into the appropriate folders inside the installer folder

- Now, inside the installer folder, long press the META-INF folder. It should now have a check mark on the right hand side.

- Tap the system folder
(now both META-INF and system should be selected)

- Press more
- Select compress
- Choose a name for your zip
(NOTE: do NOT add .zip to the name or you will end up with name.zip.zip)
- Press ok

You now have successfully created a flashable zip of your theme

Thank you so much. I was starting to get a headache trying to figure this whole thing out. And Thank you everyone for all the great development that's going on for HTC One SV.

Upvote 0
Here is the link. Also I left the compression the same when I try to create a zip it still didn't flash
Here ya go:
Alang92jrTheme.zip <---Link

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... :eek: got busy tonight.

Also, i noticed you based this on my Cool Blue theme :)
I'm glad you like it :thumbup:

I'm not sure if this was your problem, but uot puts the bootanimation in /data/local/

On this phone it needs to be in /system/customize/resource/

Also, it needs to be renamed to boost_bootanimation.zip

(If you want, you can upload the zip you made and i can tell you where it went wrong)

Upvote 0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2y38xj435sdz1la/installer.zip

Here is the original zip I created. also I think you did amazing work on the cool blue theme. are you currently making any other themes?

Not until i get a new hard drive four the laptop :(

edit - i just looked and the problem is you selected the installer.zip folder and not the folders inside it.

Your zip:

Installer.zip
--installer.zip
----system
----framework

It should be:
installer.zip
--system
--framework

Upvote 0
Not until i get a new hard drive four the laptop :(

edit - i just looked and the problem is you selected the installer.zip folder and not the folders inside it.

Your zip:

Installer.zip
--installer.zip
----system
----framework

It should be:
installer.zip
--system
--framework

So compress the framework and system folders and not the installer zip itself with the folders inside it. Also looking forward to what you're going to bring to our phones. Hopefully you get your new hard drive soon :)

Also does the data and settings folder need to be compressed with the system and framework.

Upvote 0
You need /system and META-INF in the zip.

the system folder will contain /app, /customize & /framework.

(if you unzip the zip i created you can look for yourself)

The settings folder contains a file that has all the settings you used in uot to make your theme. You can upload it to uot (kinda like a template) it's not needed for the theme to work.

The data folder contains the bootanimation.zip. (data/local/bootanimation.zip)

the installer.zip doesn't even mount /data so it won't flash anything to /data.

Upvote 0
You need /system and META-INF in the zip.

the system folder will contain /app, /customize & /framework.

(if you unzip the zip i created you can look for yourself)

The settings folder contains a file that has all the settings you used in uot to make your theme. You can upload it to uot (kinda like a template) it's not needed for the theme to work.

The data folder contains the bootanimation.zip. (data/local/bootanimation.zip)

the installer.zip doesn't even mount /data so it won't flash anything to /data.

Awesome thanks so much for your help. You help me get a little more knowledgeable with Android and flashing zips :)

Upvote 0
Okay a flashable .zip consists of several prequisites. It contains an Updater-Script housed in /META-INF/com/google/android/. This updater-script tells the phone (the recovery) how to install whatever it is you're trying to install. We use this to make flashable roms and other updates you apply.

To create a flashable.zip that installs a bootanimation, or a set of fonts, or something similar the only thing you'll need to know how to do is to make the flashable.zip delete what was previously there (what you're replacing) and push the new one on. Keep in mind that these are very basic examples.

Code:
ui_print("Applying New Bootanimation"); 
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system"); 
delete("/system/customize/resource/boost_bootanimation.zip"); 
package_extract_dir("system", "/system/customize/resource/"); 
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "umount", "/system");
ui_print("New Bootanimation Installed");

Now I'm going to break this script down for you and explain how it works.

The first line "ui_print" simply prints a message on the screen. It is not needed but I do it to let you know what's going on in the script.
The second line "run_program" is running busybox and mounting /system as writable. This is a must in an updater-script if you're going to be deleting anything or adding anything. The syntax will always be the command, in this case run_program followed by the directory of the program, what you want it to run, and in this case what you want to be mounted. So here we're running busybox from sbin and we're mounting /system as writable.

The next step is to delete what we're going to replace. So we're running delete("/system/customize/resource/boost_bootanimation.zip"); cause we're deleting the old boost_bootanimation.zip.

Now in this basic concept of an update.zip the META-INF folder and a folder called "system" should be created. I use /system because thats the name of the home folder where the boost_bootanimation is housed.

Now I'll explain the next line: package_extract_dir("system", "/system/customize/resource");.
This line is telling the phone to find the folder you created in your flashable .zip. In this case it's a folder called "system". The next part of the line is telling the phone where to extract the contents of that directory. In this case its extracting it to /system/customize/resource (because that's where the bootanimation is housed on this particular phone). *Your phone and rom may vary*.

The next line is telling the phone to Unmount /system. You must do this! The syntax for busybox to unmount is "umount". So in this case we use run_program busybox from sbin, we're telling it to unmount (umount) /system.

And of course the next line is printing a message letting the user know what the status is.

Some things to keep in mind. While you can open an updater-script with other text editors, the reason we use Notepad++ if using Windows is because it keeps the UNIX formatting of the script. If a script loses that Linux/UNIX formatting it will not work. Opening it with Notepad or WordPad will kill this encoding and the script will no longer work. If you use Notepad++ you can edit Unix based scripts quite easily just remember to save them by hitting CTRL+S or going to File->Save (NOT SAVE AS). You don't want to save it as a .txt file you want to keep this original formatting. If you get status 7 or status 0 errors when flashing an update you probably lost this very important encoding.

And that's it that's how you make an updater-script.

Note: "How you set up the folders inside of your update.zip to include your files, apps, etc, is based on the user. Can be done in many ways. The only thing required from that is insuring the updater-script places them in their proper locations when applying them to your actual phone. in addition, depending upon where they go, I.e. system or data, you must insure you mount the proper partition(s) before the tasks take place, and then unmounting those partitions before the script completes itself.

Upvote 0
Another example...

Code:
 show_progress(1.000000, 0);
ui_print("Mounting filesystems");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
set_progress(0.100000);

ui_print("Extracting files");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
set_progress(0.300000);

ui_print("Setting permissions");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/customize/resource/boost_bootanimation.zip");
set_progress(0.400000);
set_progress(0.500000);
set_progress(0.700000);

ui_print("Unmounting filesystems");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "umount", "/system");
set_progress(0.900000);

set_progress(1.000000);
ui_print("****************************************");
ui_print("*          Install Complete!           *");
ui_print("****************************************");

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones