• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Up and down arrows under 4g?

That would cause connection to run very slow?
Nope. It's just showing that data is actively being used, if there is no data being transferred those should be off/idle. They don't have any effect on the actual speed.
If your phone is older and the data connection isn't great it's just going to be slow in general.

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Nope. It's just showing that data is actively being used, if there is no data being transferred those should be off/idle. They don't have any effect on the actual speed.
If your phone is older and the data connection isn't great it's just going to be slow in general.
I'm still running 6.0.1 to keep using foxfi but after data resetting my phone after I replaced the battery Verizon must've finally shut the app down. It wasn't connecting right anymore and would cause the phone to restart randomly.

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

You have a pretty old phone. Things will only get slower from here. There are plenty of newer budget phones that you can get pretty cheap. I'd start looking for a new phone soon.
I have 1 gig WiFi being installed Saturday morning so I won't need to keep old phones anymore since I won't have to rely for it for my Internet. That's why I've kept the 6 so long and not updated firmware because the app I used didn't work after 6.0.1 I'm planning on turning my s6 into a straight talk phone so I can keep my number then get a newer phone.

Upvote 0
What are the up and down arrows under 4g? I noticed when they're moving up and down the phone crawls while online.
Hi,

The up and down arrows under the 4G icon on your phone likely indicate the strength of the cellular signal your device is currently receiving. When the arrows are moving up and down, it may indicate that the device is searching for a stronger signal or switching between different cellular towers. This can cause slower internet speeds, as the device is using more energy and resources to maintain a connection. Additionally, if you are in an area with poor cellular coverage, you may experience slow internet speeds even when the arrows are not moving.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi,

The up and down arrows under the 4G icon on your phone likely indicate the strength of the cellular signal your device is currently receiving. When the arrows are moving up and down, it may indicate that the device is searching for a stronger signal or switching between different cellular towers. This can cause slower internet speeds, as the device is using more energy and resources to maintain a connection. Additionally, if you are in an area with poor cellular coverage, you may experience slow internet speeds even when the arrows are not moving.
Thank you there's a tower maybe half a mile away most of the time signal strength is about half but I notice when the arrows are moving up and down and moving slowly it shows full strength signal and runs slowly when it shows full signal.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones