1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Up to 5 ROMs at once? WOW!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Chief, Jul 28, 2011.

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN

Advertisement

YankeeDudeL likes this.
  2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Cool idea. I've often kept a nandroid backup of diff ROMs, and even diff setups of the same ROM. Something like this would def be cool. But from what I've read, I think I'd need a better SD card than what came with the OG.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    From the manual:
    OK, I'm running CM 7 Nightly right now, and I have about 10 MB free. There is no way that my phone can have 5 different ROMs installed to system memory- what it *can* do is install all the different ROMs to the SDCard. Of course, there are caveats, as noted above. An underpowered device, or one with little RAM, will have a hard time with this, and add to that fact, as Yankee mentions, that our devices are hardware limited to give use no faster speeds than Class 2 regardless of type of SDCard used, and you're looking at an inexorable waiting time everytime you boot up.

Still, though, it would make for great eye candy - making your DROID look like Windows Mobile 7, iPhone, CM Nightly, MIUI, and another ROM just for Grins and Giggles, would be interesting - but the lag would just kill me. Even with an OC on our phones, it would be tremendously slow.

4. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Male
    Steelworker
    Indiana, US
    It's tempting but man, yea the lag would be ridiculous! I mean my phone chokes on MIUI alone! To add four others would be the end of it and me from impatience. I'm even running the Supercharger script and the phone lags at times,enough to almost make me toss the thing out the car window and just go buy a Charge.

5. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    FroYo alone is hard on this phone - hence the 'overclocking' to 800 MHz by default from the stock 550 / 600 under Donut and Eclair. Gingerbread is almost impossible without some very fine tuned tweaking - hence Motorola not releasing it for the DROID.

I'll bet that loading the ROMs from Class 2 (really, anything <6) SDCards will be abominably slow....

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    All that and the fact that we only get a 15 minute trial period on apps now nixes this for me as well. Hell, it would take more than fifteen minutes for the durn phone to boot into a different rom and/or at least get one set up, lol ;)

7. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    At least one developer is (manually) offering longer trial periods of 24 hours, simply by contacting the developer through Checkout. Hopefully, more responsible devs will follow suit and make it an hour - 4 hours....

8. JxIcekilla

JxIcekilla Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    im 13
    cali
    im not sure wat ur saying but how can you have multiple roms at the same time. i men i have like 3 roms on my sd card so i cN install them wen ever i want but i can have cm7 droid concepts and liquid at the same time as project elite. it juat wouldnt work out

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Well you would have one ROM at a time running; but up to 5 on the SD card, ready to flash back at a moment's notice. Surely there's a mechanism in place to store your system/data/cache for each ROM so nothing is lost when you jump from one to the other and back again... whatever state you save it in is the state it would be when you flash back. I can't imagine this being a successful app if you had to wipe data every time you swapped back & forth.

Pretty cool concept, admittedly.