• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update: 2.1 OS upgrade for Rogers HTC Magic+

I don't expect the 2.2 update either but the Magic we have can certainly run it and run better than it does on 2.1. You don't want to run animations and live wallpaper but it runs well. It is the fluffy things like LWP that would keep them from doing it if they didn't have their usual reasons.

Damn it!! When I stated, "In regards to OS 2.2, the HTC Magic is not within minimum specifications to accept this update." I really meant OS 3.0 (Gingerbread)! Slap self in head! :mad:

Upvote 0
Ya I could root and get 2.1 but I shouldn't have to. I paid for an extended warranty and don't wanna lose it...

And it sucks that I can't use Google Goggles, Rockplayer, Google Earth, and most importantly, flash. I heard that Android can do flash so it's kinda annoying having a device that can use flash but doesn't because the software needs to be updated. I am not gonna get really pissed off over this, but I would like an update...

But you don't get Flash 10.x until Android OS 2.2; which is why I stated that few of you are going to be happy with the whenever it's released OS 2.1. I am not even sure full flash would work on the relatively underpowered Magic anyway.

Upvote 0
Excuse my ignorance but will this Magic update that is going to be coming soon going to be available to HTC Magics using the carrier "Three" in Australia?

I'm not going to have a tantrum about an upgrade because enough people have already done that but I stress with all my HTC Magic magicnessss's that I'm desperate to get an upgrade from my poorly 1.5 firmware to 2.X anything.

I really want to jump up and down, yell at someone and be genuinely rude but and can't find anywhere better to do it than here and that might not be fair.

Pllleeaaaseee, any info, updates, links or even back rubbing would be appreciated more than you realise.

David

Upvote 0
Damn it!! When I stated, "In regards to OS 2.2, the HTC Magic is not within minimum specifications to accept this update." I really meant OS 3.0 (Gingerbread)! Slap self in head! :mad:

hehe. I was hoping that you meant that. :)

There's too much to like about 2.x to not have it if the phone can handle it which ours does nicely. Besides the free navigation that is a biggie there are other capabilities in the new Maps that are useful. In general the Google apps are a lot more functional, I use Buzz a lot instead of things like twitter, foursquare, etc, Buzz does all of that and it is ideal for mobile. Gmail is much more useful with live threaded updating and good integration. There are many people stuck on 1.5 that either don't know about Buzz or don't have an easy way to use it except on a pc.

Ya'll should like the 2.1 update, I hope that R does it right. I prefer 2.2 but I doubt you'll see an official update. 2.1 will extend the life of the Magic until you're ready a newer phone. hint, next time pay full pop for an unlocked off contract phone and you can avoid the carrier dependencies for updates. :cool:

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a surprise to anyone.... but whenever the eight month (and counting) OS 2.1 becomes available to Magic owners, the upgrade is going to be destructive!

This is just another reminder at how much more refined iPhone is to the Android. When Apple released the MAJOR 4.0 update for iPhone (and iPod), it was a non-destructive update, and a breeze to install through iTunes. Additionally, the update was available to all Apple owners immediately upon public release.

Eight months late and counting...and when it becomes available, I will have to reconfigure my Magic again! What a pain in the a**!

Upvote 0
snapshot_magic.png

i like that theme!
can you link me, please?

Upvote 0
But isn't the iThing upgrades a very slow process because of the backups etc? You can do an Android ROM, wipe, install all apps and config pretty fast and sometimes does a phone some good to start over anyway. Not a major deal really. And a little tip about 2.1, you might find that the first visit to market will show all/most of your previous apps listed so you can install them rather quickly. You can start fresh and be back up loaded in about 30 minutes.

And 2.2 has a sync feature that will auto restore all apps and configs. Not much help for the Rogers Magic but shows that Android is quickly catching up and in fact doing some things better. That iMagic mystique is fading and never impressed me. I don't need Apple holding my hand and don't need Rogers doing it either.

The next round of phones might be a lot easier to keep updated. The Galaxy S is less shackled by the carrier and that's a good thing.

Upvote 0
That's a black themed Froyo ROM with the ADW Launcher. You can run ADW on non Froyo but I haven't tried it on 1.5. Works great on 2.1. There are many themes that you can apply to ADW.

Here's today's setup:
snapshot_adw1.png

snapshot_adw2.png

i'm running cm6.0, and i do indeed have adw...
i just liked the status bar, really.
and the blue title bars. haha.

so instead of having cm6, i'd have that 'black themed froyo rom' ?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can start fresh and be back up loaded in about 30 minutes.

Back when i had a the HTC Dream, i factory reset it few times for many reasons, but i was always able to be back up and running in under 10 minutes. the whole Google 'contacts in the cloud' is a godsend. AppMonster backed up all my apps to my SD and i reinstalled without having to redownload. In most cases it even held my settings too.

There is no way in hell i could bother myself with iPhones decrepit system of plugging you phone into your computer to sync/transfer/backup etc...

sidenote, my friend has had a horrible experience with the new iOS4 on her iphone and she is now in the same state, starting from scratch, and she is PISSED because the contact backup failed and now she has to collect all of her friends contact details again.

Phones are like rolodexes now. i would say 80% of my contacts i do not have the phone number memorized. For me, losing them is not an option. The google cloud takes care of that for me, along with calander, docs, etc... you couldn't pay me to go iPhone. just sayin' :p

Upvote 0
Apparently Google did approve it and it's gone to HTC for the rollout, but if you follow the android blogs, you'll know that many OTA's on other phones and/or carriers are started, then stopped because of bugs with the rollout process. Being that this is the first OTA for Rogers, they probably have/will rollout the update to internal units first for testing the OTA process itself, then it'll start trickling out to the masses if it proves bug-free.

Reactions: thor124
Upvote 0
Absolutly NO update will give you flash 10 on your Magic. HTC/Rogers could update the phone to Android 2.2 and still it won't work.

correct.. but didn't HTC implement their own Flash player within Sense? i regularily use the HTC flash player when my Youtube app fails to launch a video, which happens quite regularily. The HTC flash player is fairly good. and some flash content works inside of the browser as well. But if the whole page is flash driven, then it slows to a crawl.. i doubt Flash 10 would be any better.

Upvote 0
Absolutly NO update will give you flash 10 on your Magic. HTC/Rogers could update the phone to Android 2.2 and still it won't work.

Adobe has produced flash 10 to work with the ARMv7 instruction set, which is hardware related to the cpu. The Magic's cpu utilizes the ARMv6 instruction set so flash will not work on them. Incidentally this also means that Google Earth won't work on them either.
That's ******ed, I just got this phone I don't want to have to get another one already...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones