• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Update #2] Acer Iconia Tablet To Get Android 3.1 Early June 2011

gabeyong

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

Just thought you guys wanna know.

Iconia Tab A500 receiving 3.1 Honeycomb in June 2011.

ASUS and Acer Honeycomb tablets to get Android 3.1 in early June

Notable features
- ability to stretch widgets,
- improved performance, and
- support for USB peripherals

Update #2

Best New Features of Android Honycomb 3.1

Android Developer 3.1 Platform Highlights

- Improved Flash Support
- Better Multitasking
- Movie Store
- Resizable Homescreen Widgets
- Pointer Device Support
- Better USB Host Support
- Updated Core Apps
- Enterprise support
- Robust Wifi Networking

cheers :)

Big question for quite a few folks is will they fix the unstable wifi in low signal areas and especially the now infamous waking out of sleep mode issues.

I had a chance to buy a 32gb Trans from Walmart at around 5pm last night, but like and use the USB host feature too much to get stuck using a keyboard.

I had the Transformer in my cart and was thiiiiss close to pressing purchase, but did not..... It would not have hurt to have tried it though, but too late now.

UPDATE:

Seems "Early June" has turned into "Late June", which in dev terms means July, since "Early June" already meant late July in dev terms.

Upvote 0
Big question for quite a few folks is will they fix the unstable wifi in low signal areas and especially the now infamous waking out of sleep mode issues.

I had a chance to buy a 32gb Trans from Walmart at around 5pm last night, but like and use the USB host feature too much to get stuck using a keyboard.

I had the Transformer in my cart and was thiiiiss close to pressing purchase, but did not..... It would not have hurt to have tried it though, but too late now.

UPDATE:

Seems "Early June" has turned into "Late June", which in dev terms means July, since "Early June" already meant late July in dev terms.

And of course Rush rushes in to subtley bash Acer for some issue. Yes Rush the update says a fix for wifi, but true to form it isn't good enough lol. I wish you did buy the Tranny, at least then you would be too busy bashing that to keep bashing the Iconia. I love this tablet despite its minor issues. The updates are good to know and I can wait for them. If I wanted to not risk anything on new products I would have just bought into the Jobs nightmare world. I didn't though, I bought into a working product that is being developed. That means to me that its evolving. Sure there will be issues, but I believe they will be fixed. That is also what makes me a happy camper with the Iconia.

As for you, I think you just take the same 500.00 and buy whatever is there and then beta test it and return it after you have bashed it to hell and back lol. Rush will you ever be happy?

I hope so...

Upvote 0
My A500 has always randomly woken from sleep on it's own. Even with the last update. UNTIL I got the 3.1 update a few days ago.

However I now have the same problem as others, after 3.1 update, everything worked fine for about 2 days. Now, I cannot connect to ANY wifi. Even unsecured, can't even tether off my phone.

It seems from others experience a factory reset may fix this, but surely that can't be the only answer? I don't really want to resetup the whole device.

Does anyone have any more info on this problem?

Cheers
Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones