1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

update android version

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gary teale, Feb 23, 2019.

1. gary teale

gary teale Lurker

Hi

Although pretty old now my tab 3 7" does what I need although the OS (4.4.2) is dated and slow compared to my Samsung A3 which has 6.0.1. I realise there is no support from Samsung for a newer OS but if possible I would like to install either Android 6 or 5. I've done quite a bit of googling but all the links I've tried for downloads seem to be broken. Is the necessary software still available to root my device and install a custom ROM or should I just upgrade to a newer model.

Thanks in advance

Gary

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Time to buy a new model

bcrichster likes this.
  3. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

I agree with @Dannydet ..time for an upgrade/new device

Dannydet likes this.
  4. Bicykler

Bicykler Lurker

Why replace a good piece of hardware? I'm the type of person who hates to add to a growing pile of electronic waste.

bcrichster likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is your problem that it is slow or that there are apps you want to use that aren't compatible with Android 4? If the latter then a custom ROM, if you can find the tools and a compatible ROM, may help. But if the problem is that it is slower than a modern device then installing a newer android version is unlikely to help, and might do the opposite.

Dannydet and bcrichster like this.
  6. Bicykler

Bicykler Lurker

The problem is finding compatible apps also some become unusablle when they automatically update.

7. gary teale

gary teale Lurker

I find the newer OS much more user friendly, i'd like to have a go at putting it on. The low value of my tab 3 means it's no great shakes if it doesn't work but trolling through the internet for tools that work is probably more trouble than its worth. Time to upgrade my tablet I guess.

Thanks for the help

Gary

Dannydet likes this.
  8. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Ho-Lee-Crap.. I might have something for you but you'll still need do some small research to achieve perfection. I think what you're looking for is actually right --> HERE .. <-- Keep in mind that you may be restricted due to the device's RAM capacity and might need the Android GO versions but I certainly see options if ya wanna make the jump. PC may be required, FYI

lunatic59 and Dannydet like this.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 V 7.0 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 V 7.0 release date was April 2015. Features and Specs include a 7.0" inch screen, 2MP camera, 1GB RAM, processor, and 3600mAh battery.

April 2015
Release Date
Reviews