1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Update Android without any 3rd party applications

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by maksym, Jul 27, 2013.

1. maksym

maksym Lurker

Hi all!

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 phone with Android 2.1 on board.

I want to update my phone with newer Android 2.3 CyanogenMod, but i don't want to use any 3rd party applications because its mysterious and can potentially contain malware, rootkit, etc.

I have Linux on my host computer and Android Debug Bridge (adb, fastboot) installed. Phone successfully recognized by my host and I can use adb shell.

Finally question: can I update android on my phone without using any 3rd party applications (such as flashtool, clockworkmod or other). For example just typing "fastboot update <some cyanogenmod zip file>".

Please help.

Advertisement

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Welcome to the forums, maksym!
    As long as you're careful and are sure of the source of those apps, I wouldn't be so worried about them containing malware. SuperOneClick is one of those great apps designed to easily root your phone. These directions look quite straight forward:
    Howto root the Sony Erricson Xperia X8 (Android 2.1) from Linux - www.bentasker.co.uk
    Unfortunately, our site doesn't have a lot of info in regards to rooting and installing a custom ROM on the X8, but XDA has quite a bit you can find here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=921652

funkylogik likes this.
  3. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

If you have to ask, the answer is no you can't do it without 3rd party applications. If you were the sort of person who can write those applications you could, but then you wouldn't be asking here.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Yeah. These devs are widely respected and give you a free service because thats the android way. Dont worry about malware when youre using a popular trusted method :thumbup: