1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Update Downloaded but doesn't say what it's updating

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theatremouse, May 6, 2012.

1. theatremouse

theatremouse Newbie
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    I know this might be a really stupid question, but I had an odd update download itself onto my phone this morning (experia play, verizon). The normal "downloading" icon looked slightly different then normal, larger and bold? And when I clicked the notification it just said "update" but didn't say what app it was an update for, or if it's just a verizon update or what. I got prompted later after the download to update my phone, with the warning that I wouldn't be able to make calls, or use data, etc while the update is installed, but it still nowhere says what the update is. So I'm worried it's malware, but have no idea how it could've gotten on my phone, how it would just start downloading itself. I clicked "remind me later" on the prompt to install it since I can't figure out what it is. Anyone have any ideas how I can figure out what this update is and if it's legit? I do have avg installed on the phone and it's not flagging anything as suspicious, but I am still wary.

Advertisement

2. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love
    None

May 14, 2010
    Female
    AZ
    Welcome! There are no stupid questions here. :)
    It is probably not malware but it couldn't hurt to call Verizon and ask if they have sent out a patch.
    I also recommend that you get Avast or Lookout as your antivirus. AVG is good but Avast and Lookout are a bit better on catching the latest malware apps, and Lookout has that locate phone option.

3. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

it's the 2.3.4 system update. if you're not rooted or don't plan to in the near future, download and install it.

damewolf13 likes this.
  4. rondeau04

rondeau04 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2011

I got this update as well but now my email, twitter, facebook notifications are not coming through, have you come across this issue, i have two gmail accounts set up also

5. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

i didn't keep it long enough to find out. after i found out that i lost root, i used flashtool to go back to 2.3.3. until there's a way to root after the update.

6. Prydan2k

Prydan2k Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    Same problems as you after update.

7. Wisenos

Wisenos Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 13, 2010
    you wouldn't understand lol
    running a r800a 2.3.4 rooted
    i don't see why it wouldn't work with a r800x

8. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

i'm sure it will eventually but right now superoneclick freezes up halfway through the process. i think the r800a has a different stock rom than the r800x.