1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Update from older root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by below_radar_00, Jul 19, 2011.

1. below_radar_00

below_radar_00 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Hi All,

A friend of mine had me root her NC several months ago before the new update came along. I think she's running 1.1.0 right now. Anyways she wants me to update her NC with the newest update but I have no idea how to do that on a rooted NC without loosing root or all her data. So I have two questions:

1. Are there any benefits to updating this rooted NC?

2. If so, what's the best way to do that and still keep root and all her data?

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    The B&N software 1.2 update will get her a little better performance, but the main benefit would be browser support for Flash apps.

I have no idea what this does if you install it over a rooted version, but you might read up on this thread: [UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM - xda-developers

I suspect you'll end up with a stock 1.2 rom and have to root it with manual nooter.

Does she have to have a stock NC? Installing CM7 would make it a tablet that also functions as a reader. There are reader apps that some people here like better than the stock reader. I suggest this b/c installing a rom like CM7 would be a lot easier than updating the S/W to 1.2 AND having to root it with manual nooter. I think there's a lot more to go wrong there. :D

What data does she need to keep? Purchased books and magazines will simply download again. Apps in Market will redownload again. You could install Titanium Backup and backup your apps + data and restore it if needed.