• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Update from older root?

below_radar_00

Apr 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
Hi All,

A friend of mine had me root her NC several months ago before the new update came along. I think she's running 1.1.0 right now. Anyways she wants me to update her NC with the newest update but I have no idea how to do that on a rooted NC without loosing root or all her data. So I have two questions:

1. Are there any benefits to updating this rooted NC?

2. If so, what's the best way to do that and still keep root and all her data?

Thanks everyone!

The B&N software 1.2 update will get her a little better performance, but the main benefit would be browser support for Flash apps.

I have no idea what this does if you install it over a rooted version, but you might read up on this thread: [UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM - xda-developers

I suspect you'll end up with a stock 1.2 rom and have to root it with manual nooter.

Does she have to have a stock NC? Installing CM7 would make it a tablet that also functions as a reader. There are reader apps that some people here like better than the stock reader. I suggest this b/c installing a rom like CM7 would be a lot easier than updating the S/W to 1.2 AND having to root it with manual nooter. I think there's a lot more to go wrong there. :D

What data does she need to keep? Purchased books and magazines will simply download again. Apps in Market will redownload again. You could install Titanium Backup and backup your apps + data and restore it if needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones