• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help update help

account1

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
i have this htc desire without a sim card running on wifi, i used to use this phone a while back but since then has been replace by a new phone with a micro sim. a factory reset has been done on this phone and i want know how do i update the software? it is so dated that the play store is called market. going to settings>at&t software update>check for updates does nothing... would it work if i put in my old sim card?

Under settings>about phone which android version is it running? If the phone is not rooted you probably have the latest update anyway which is about 2 years old now.

Rooting will open up a whole heap of possibilities. However I know nothing about US CDMA phones so your best bet would be to ask @Hadron about your options.

Upvote 0
Under settings>about phone which android version is it running? If the phone is not rooted you probably have the latest update anyway which is about 2 years old now.

Rooting will open up a whole heap of possibilities. However I know nothing about US CDMA phones so your best bet would be to ask @Hadron about your options.

running 2.3.3

i mostly just want the updated play store also no idea how to root

Upvote 0
2.3.3 was the final update ever for the Desire, and that one was only released as a ROM Update Utility rather than over the air.

So it's nothing to do with the SIM (or lack of SIM), there just aren't any more updates. The only way you'll get a newer OS is to root and install a custom ROM.

However, if it's mainly the Play Store, you can generally find that apk with a little web searching. There are a number of threads on XDA-Developers, but this Android Police article has a download link and someone in the comments says that the app worked on a Desire running 2.3.3, so that might be a good one to try.

Reactions: account1
Upvote 0
2.3.3 was the final update ever for the Desire, and that one was only released as a ROM Update Utility rather than over the air.

So it's nothing to do with the SIM (or lack of SIM), there just aren't any more updates. The only way you'll get a newer OS is to root and install a custom ROM.

However, if it's mainly the Play Store, you can generally find that apk with a little web searching. There are a number of threads on XDA-Developers, but this Android Police article has a download link and someone in the comments says that the app worked on a Desire running 2.3.3, so that might be a good one to try.

got it thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones