• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UPDATE - how to recover S4 trashed by the GMail update

If, like me, you had your phone put into a boot loop by the GMail update of early October 2013, here is how I recovered mine.

The main problem is that you need to disable sync in the short time between when the phone finishes startup and before it reboots again.

On the occasion I tried this the phone was starting from cold and I don't know if it would work when it was between boot loops.

I'm not game to re-brick my phone and try.

• As soon as the home screen displays, swipe down from the top of the screen to display the quick settings buttons (WiFi, Airplane Mode, etc).
  • As soon as it is displayed, swipe horizontally to bring the "Sync" icon into view (the arrangement of these buttons is configurable so you might not need to swipe to see the "Sync" button).
  • The sync button will be lit, indicating that Sync is on. Tap it to turn it off.

If you are fast enough, the problem should be gone (you might need one more reboot cycle).

The problem is widely reported and seems to be an issue with the Gmail update. It is yet to be acknowledged by Google.

I'm not an authority on Android, I do however keep tabs on various Android forums an blogs, checking them daily through Google Currents. I yet to come across an article that mention that. Given the huge number of Android devices out there, even a 100 posts will be a tiny particle in a sea. And 100 doesn't make enough, to be a generic Google app problem.

I have around me about 12 to 14 android devices. Family, friends and work associates. Your post is the only place I hear about it. Before posting my earlier reply, I did ask if any of them had any issue, and no one could share your sentiment. You are blowing it way out of proportion.

Upvote 0
The first time after I updated GMail, when I ran it, it displayed a bar at the top of the inbox that said "Turn on auto-sync?" - at least that's what I thought I remembered - it doesn't ever display again once you choose. To access the option from then on:

• Tap the "menu" button (bottom-left of S4)
  • Select "Settings"
  • Select the account
  • Option is called "Sync GMail"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones