• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Update issue, now non stop rebooting

Telstar_2112

Dec 19, 2009
My Bionic was rooted so I never accepted the last update back about 7 months ago but that message kept comming up to update and I accidentally hit accept the other day.
I quickly removed the battery, rebooted, but then every minute or so it would power down to apply the update.
Within one of those minutes I quickly deleted the update file from the cache folder. rebooted, and it did not try to load the update, I can see my stuff but... still re-boots every minute or so.
Long story short I tried a lot of stuff, wiping cache, resetting to factory, using rsd lite to try and flash it with both ICS then JB but kept getting errors such as "Signature not valid" or cdt.bin errors or
"Error in tmp/sideload/pkg.zip
Tmp/bp.img
Status 7 installation aborted."

Anyway...
Eventually with deleting the lines <oem-fb-mode> from the extracted JB xml file I was able to load JB using rsd-lite and it seemed to make it through without errors. I can get to the screen for set-up but damn -within a minute.. still reboots. So I think (not positive) JB is loaded but it is still re-booting. I also tried loading the same xml.zip files from the sd card. But still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

If you were rooted but running stock, I think the best idea is to try the HouseOfMoto. It's a bit complex, but the solution does ask if you want to keep your data partition, so you *should* be able to keep your apps and data and use HouseOfMoto to go back to stock. (Or, of course, just go back to straight stock and then rebuild everything from scratch.) Then, of course, you'd need to re-root.

House of Moto: House of Moto [2.0] (For Now) - SamuriHL's House Of Moto - DroidRzr.com

Upvote 0
I have already returned it to factory settings so already lost all my data. I would be happy to find a way to save the phone. In the less then 1 minute between reboots I checked the phone settings and it appears to be on Jb 4.1.2 I think. So I was able to successfully flash the phone but it still reboots. Ill try your suggestion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones