1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Update prevented usage of phone as mass storage?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Aldenwar, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aldenwar

Aldenwar Lurker
    None

Aug 27, 2016
    I was planning to add some more music to my phone, Honor 4C by Huawei, but found out that things didn't work out the way they did before. When I put music on the phone the last time, I could just open the phone as a storage, find the SD card's folder and drop my music files there and everything worked smoothly.

However, now it's not working out for me anymore after two phone updates. I assume either one of those updates changed this, not sure if it was the former or the latter. If I try to choose usb mode from the developer settings, I'm not finding mass storage, which if I recall correctly was needed back then to access the folders. If I use the media transfer protocol, or any of the other options, my computer doesn't recognise my phone as the storage but rather as a drive to autorun installation of HiSuite. There are no files other than the files related to this autorun inside, the whole thing acts like some sort of flash drive. And for some reason, HiSuite program itself has no way to transfer music, only photos and videos, even though the program's patch notes say something about adding support for music management...

So what am I missing here? I googled for answers for like 4 hours but found none so far. My phone's android version is 6.0 and EMUI is 4.0. Another change that happened between is that I changed to Windows 10 with a clean install, but I'm quite confident it's about the phone updates.

Any help appreciated!

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Do you have root access?

mikedt likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    MTP has been the default connection protocol for a few years now, so if your phone supported UMS that is because Huawei added that - which means it's also possible that Huawei didn't include it in the update.

That said, MTP is a Microsoft protocol, so you'd expect there to be no problem with Windows. On the Windows machines I have access to a MTP-connected Android just appears as another drive, and you can simply use Windows Explorer to copy files to/from it. I've never used Win 10, so can't guarantee the OS isn't part of this, but it sounds like this "HiSuite" is the problem, getting in the way of normal MTP operation (and a quick web search reveals that this is a Huawei package). I don't suppose you can just fire up Windows Explorer anyway once HiSuite is installed and see the drive that way?

badcatz likes this.
  4. Aldenwar

Aldenwar Lurker
    None

Aug 27, 2016
    @Bg260 No, I have not rooted my phone, but I could consider that as an option to fix this if needed.

@Hadron Unfortunately no, even after installation the phone is only recognised as a flash drive of sorts for the installer/opening the program. Here are two pictures of how it looks like in explorer. http://imgur.com/a/9oDbC

#4 Aldenwar, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016