• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

update problems?

jjvw

Lurker
Jan 24, 2010
3 weeks ago, I received a prompt to update my Eris. It took 30 mins + to complete. After finishing my signal strength went from 5 bars in my basement to 0-1 bars outside! Verizon said a cable was cut that day and it would work better when repaired. Another verizon rep replaced the phone thinking the system was messed up by the slow upgrade. The new phone has the same problem: only 1 bar where I always had 5, 3G is almost never, phone calls missed or dropped. None of the verizon reps has a eris and haven't heard about this problem.
Has anyone else had problems with the update?

Has anyone else had problems with the update?

Welcome to the forums, jjvw.

Short answer, yes. Many reports are posted in the Eris forums about signal issues, etc, following an update and then, typically, some exchanged devices are no better, mainly because they're updated, as well or were poorly refurbished.

You have a couple of choices. Many users hit on a good Eris after several exchanges, finally getting an Eris that has no issues because they kept taking the bad ones back to the store and getting yet another one.

Some talk the rep in the store into an entirely different model of phone, such as the Incredible or even a Droid (this is rare, but we have seen reports of that in here). Some try different stores to get what they want.

Yet others decide to root there Eris; many of those users end up quite satisfied with the results.

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/163116-eris-rooting-methods-related-links.html

If I were you, I'd try a few more exchanges before anything else.

Good luck. ;) And please post back with how things are going or for more help with this.

Upvote 0
Frisco, do you remember the thread where the person had this same problem after an upgrade - it turned out that the upgrade had switched his phone from looking for Verizon cell towers to whatever company Verizon bought somewhat recently. Sorry about being so vague, but I don't recall the details - hoping you can do better than me. I remember that it was an easy fix, I just don't remember what it was. It MAY have been what I'm about to suggest.

JJVW, try dialing *22899 on your phone, see if that helps any. That supposed to help your phone find new towers.

Upvote 0
Frisco, do you remember the thread where the person had this same problem after an upgrade - it turned out that the upgrade had switched his phone from looking for Verizon cell towers to whatever company Verizon bought somewhat recently. Sorry about being so vague, but I don't recall the details - hoping you can do better than me. I remember that it was an easy fix, I just don't remember what it was. It MAY have been what I'm about to suggest.

JJVW, try dialing *22899 on your phone, see if that helps any. That supposed to help your phone find new towers.

That was me.

Where I live Alltel was bought out by Verizon earlier this year. When I received the latest update back in July my phone kept losing its signal and battery drain was an issue.

I stopped at the local Verizon store and they stated after the reboot and reprogramming my phone went back to searching for Alltel towers.

First thing to do is call Verizon Customer service *611 and find out the SID code for your area.

Once you have that then...##778 then hit the call button>Edit Mode>000000 as the password>Home SID/Home NID>Home SID/Home NID #1 then change the SID number that verizon gave you if it isn't the right one. Pick OK. Then hit the menu button and pick "Commit Modifications"

That procedure helped my battery and signal issues.

Upvote 0
Still having some signal loss issues so i did some research and found this compiled list of SID numbers...

The Roaming Zone-System ID (SID) List

Since our phones allow you to enter up to 20 SID numbers, I gathered all of the ones from these lists specific to Verizon/Alltel and in WI (where I live) and then went for a test run on couple stretches of highway that I always lose a signal for a few miles. To my amazement no more signal loss at any of these places anymore.

I have 16 SID numbers entered in my phone now.

Upvote 0
Nice work, prj.
icon14.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones