1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Update questions and backup (Need help asap)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dapsonddroid, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dapsonddroid

dapsonddroid Newbie

I just found out that there is an update available via OTA on my phone,So i have this questions.

How would i know the firmware i am about to download?cause i have heard alot of people have issues after upgrading to ICS.

What do i need to do before the update?Do i have to do some cache clearing and what?If yes please give a step guideline on how to.

Can i use my data to download the updates as i don't always have access to a wifi...My Nokia n900 always needed a wifi to update.

I can't get titanium backup as i can't pay cause of my location.So how can i back up all my apps,contacts,sms and other files.

A quick reply would be much appreciated.And mod can move this as i couldn't find a thread that had this as i am typing from my phone and don't see a similar thread.

2. dapsonddroid

dapsonddroid Newbie

bump...

Please guys i need your help...

3. dapsonddroid

dapsonddroid Newbie

4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

I'm not too sure if it tells you what firmware you are updating to as I've never never done an ota before. You shouldn't loose any apps or data when doing one though. A nandroid wouldn't help restore apps between firmwares as all it would do us replace ewe new firmware with the old. There is a free version of titanium if you can't pay for apps.

Edit: the update should be fine to do on your phones data, however it will use a lot.

dapsonddroid likes this.
  5. dapsonddroid

dapsonddroid Newbie

How do i do the nandroid?Cause i want to b sure i can come back to gingerbread if the ICS is really buggy.Please keep in mind i am not rooted yet as i want to hold out until warranty expires. Thanks for the help again..You guys are the reason i got s2 instead of an iPhone 4 and joined here..and slugs too.

6. Shotgun84

You have to be rooted to do a nandroid backup. But then I don't think the ota update would work as you have a rooted device, so in order to update you would need to flash it manually with Odin.

7. dapsonddroid

dapsonddroid Newbie

That assuming i am rooted right?Cause now i am not rooted...I'll just have to wait till i can get a wifi to download the update,as i have heard so much about the buggy ICS.so at least i am not too eager for the unknown.

8. Shotgun84

Yeah you would only need to update with Odin if you were rooted. The ota update should work fine on an unrooted phone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews