• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Update Rooted SM-G900T1 (4.4.2) to 5 or above

Hi All,
I rooted my Galaxy S5 some time ago and would like to upgrade android version 4.4.2 to at least 5.0 or above and not lose root.
Is this possible? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.....Tom

Here you go... the latest and last stock firmware for your model, G900T1. Flashing a stock firmware will, I am afraid, un-root you and you will need to re-root.

Model SM-G900T1
Model name GALAXY S5
Country USA (T-Mobile) (TMB
)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 7500527
Build date Sat, 25 Mar 2017 07:01:18 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-03-01
Product code TMB
PDA G900T1UVU1GQC2

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the reply. Is that like doing a clean install on a PC or will my apps remain installed. Will it be able to root again? I forgot how I did it and like to install my root only apps like Titanium Backup, Etc. I'd like to block Samsung from accessing all my data. Very much a privacy fanatic.

Thanks Again............Tom

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the reply. Is that like doing a clean install on a PC or will my apps remain installed. Will it be able to root again? I forgot how I did it and like to install my root only apps like Titanium Backup, Etc. I'd like to block Samsung from accessing all my data. Very much a privacy fanatic.

Thanks Again............Tom

Flash the firmware using Odin by using the instructions and downloads provided in my previous link and your apps and settings will remain although, as with any firmware flashing process, I suggest you make a full back up of your phone before proceeding. You will need to re-root using your preferred method, CF-Auto Root, OneClick or Magisk, etc: and if you use a custom recovery such as TWRP, that will need to be re-installed also.

Upvote 0
ironass,
I've downloaded the file you suggested above. The directions from the download site :
Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

But I only get one file:

G900T1UVU1GQC2_G900T1TMB1GQC2_G900T1UVU1GQC2_HOME.tar.md5

Their directions for one file:

Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 1 file:

AP (System &Recovery)

and I'm stuck.

Do ineed to extract the tar file using peazip?

I did get odin and I have the Samsung USB drivers installed. Don't know how to proceed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks......Tom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ironass,
I've downloaded the file you suggested above. The directions from the download site :
Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

But I only get one file:

G900T1UVU1GQC2_G900T1TMB1GQC2_G900T1UVU1GQC2_HOME.tar.md5

Their directions for one file:

Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 1 file:

AP (System &Recovery)

and I'm stuck.

Do ineed to extract the tar file using peazip?

I did get odin and I have the Samsung USB drivers installed. Don't know how to proceed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks......Tom

Extract the .tar file and flash in AP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=350&v=ZSEFaZ-8_KM

Upvote 0
ironass,
Thank you again. I was able to flash successfully and now have Android 6.0.1
Now I'd like to install TWRP recovery and am lost. I downloaded the app and can choose what device backup I need. The best choices are "Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A" or "Samsung Galaxy S5 Qualcom" (My guess is Qualcom). In any event they both give many versions of img and img.tar files. Not sure what's correct for my phone. My goal is to reinstall the Xposed Framework but for Marshmallow it has to be flashed, I think from zipfile on the sd card, got the installer and the uninstaller. The TWRP recovery was suggested just in case of disaster.

I had it installed before but it was an apk which was simple for me.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated......Tom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones