• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

update straighttalk galaxy s4 OS?

By no means a droid noob, but not at all knowledgeable about this possibility, so you may have to spell things out for me in basic terms. -laugh-

I'm runnng a Galaxy S4 (SM-S975L) from straighttalk. OS is 4.3. My understanding is the OS is currently maxed out on the phone as purchased, & that to upgrade to newer OS I need to root, losing ability to OTA upgrade & requiring manual updates from that point on. (Phone supposedly also locked & not unlockable, or at least so says straighttalk.)

A number of my old apps (on a previous phone using kitkat) are incompatible, & I just lost access to some I've been using on this one that now apparently require higher than jelly bean. So, question:

Can I safely (read, reliably *&* safely!) root & then manually upgrade to at least 5.x (if not higher), & if so how do I go about it? I've read enough to know there are at least some solid root apps out there, but also enough to know if I do it I need to go verrrrry carefully, & even then "ainno guarantees"! Any & all info/aid/assistance/guidance/etc., MOST greatly appreciated!!

The answer is no, I am sorry. I have researched this subject for a friend who has what you have a StrtTalk. So your right the bootloader is locked on those ST phones. So this means you can not root it the conventional way with Odin.
My understanding is the only way to root these is either use Rommanager to flash superSU or chance using Towelroot.apk.
Then if you luck up with that then copy a TWRP Custom Recovery is a breeze with this.
su
dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones