• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root update takes hours

bbxrider

Aug 23, 2011
got a notice to update the android os, selected wifi since I have pretty good bandwidth there, once initiated the phone powered off, came back on with an exclamation point in a white triangle and the android figure in blue below that, now for about 3 hours, is this right? it takes this long? anyway to check if its stuck or worse?

got a notice to update the android os, selected wifi since I have pretty good bandwidth there, once initiated the phone powered off, came back on with an exclamation point in a white triangle and the android figure in blue below that, now for about 3 hours, is this right? it takes this long? anyway to check if its stuck or worse?

If you can't power it off then pull battery. Tell me if it boots all the way. You are not rooted are you?

Upvote 0
based on another post, I did try to power off/on and had to remove battery,
phone came back up, seems ok, is there a way to tell if I actually got the update from the build number or software no?
my kernal is 2.6.35.10-g13578ee 7/20/2011
build no is 4.54.651.1 cli134969 release-keys

Upvote 0
based on another post, I did try to power off/on and had to remove battery,
phone came back up, seems ok, is there a way to tell if I actually got the update from the build number or software no?
my kernal is 2.6.35.10-g13578ee 7/20/2011
build no is 4.54.651.1 cli134969 release-keys

You should never accept an ota when rooted. What hboot do you have? What recovery do you have?

Upvote 0
hboot = 6.16.1002, using my backup
so maybe the update didn't process.
I should not accept an ota due to security issue?
please bear w/me=newbie
I should check and then get my own update when notiified something might be available?
and duh forgot, should have done a backup before any update thing

Upvote 0
just got the update msg again, sez from htc, for android 2.3.5, + sys enhancement 4.67.651.3, 35mb,
will have to pick this up later, gf needs help w/dogs:eek:

Never accept an ota because it could seriously mess up your phone. You are rooted so all you need to do is flash an updated rom. You should go into settings and turn of HTC updates. It's under about phone I believe. Ota's can change the hboot that is why you should not accept it. It could also unroot you. There is updated roms in the all root section I would link but on my phone and can't at moment

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ok everybody thanks for the advice, I will not accept the current update, and check here for news about future updates if they are worth it.
too bad the sane thinking and advice has to come here rather than the manufacturer, but whatever it takes

Heres the deal, you NEVER want to accept an update. Not this time, or at any point in the future. All you have have to do is just flash the updated ROM in recovery and you still get to keep your root and have no issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones