1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Update Text Messages When Running Cognition

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chromag, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I got two text messages from AT&T last night stating that there is an update available. Specifically, it says:

AT&T FREE MSG: AT&T is providing a free update for your phone. When asked to install the update, please select OK. Thank You.

Anyone else running Cognition getting these messages? I'm running 2.3 beta(something i forget). Is this just the reminder for the update they sent down a month or so ago?

Advertisement

2. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Software Engineer
    I'm not running Cognition (or any custom rom for that matter) and I got the text message a couple of nights ago too. Did some research and it seems like it is the reminder for that last update.

3. AllergyDoc

AllergyDoc Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Best to ignore it.

4. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I've been running Cognition for awhile now and never seen a text message from AT&T prompting upgrade. I thought that once I got off the stock firmware, I lost the ability to receive that message from AT&T.

Any implementation of Cognition is going to be better then an AT&T update. I WOULD NOT try and download the update. The true phone "bricks" have come from people who have tried to download their 2.1 update from AT&T over the air. Since you aren't even on stock firmware, and you might have Voodoo, downloading that update is just asking for trouble.