• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update Thread

The One UI 6 / Android 14 beta for the S23 Ultra is more like a late alpha: it has more bugs than an abandoned house. I'm really stuck on it, though, because downgrading requires a factory reset and relying on Samsung Cloud to restore everything (and it won't). The beta 2 was supposed to drop today: but it's reportedly delayed. (probably due to bugs - surprise)
:mad:

Upvote 0
Probably not the best idea to test a beta Android update on your primary phone
I did with my Pixel 2, but only when it was a few betas in and was being reported to be sufficiently stable, and when it had been confirmed that one critical app was working with the beta.

I just opened the Samsung Members app for the first time to see what it said about the beta and... tumbleweed. No "banner". OK, I'll search: hmm, a couple of things that look like discussion threads, including one that's about 90 minutes old (heck of a coincidence!) about a beta programme in the UK, which says they hope to post some information soon. Hmm, well I wasn't going to install it anyway (got a number of things coming for which I need to be 100% confident of my phone), but doesn't look like I'd have the option anyway.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Probably not the best idea to test a beta Android update on your primary phone
This "habit" harkens back to the good ol' days of Android when it was more of the Wild West; early adopters would buy the latest gadgets on Day 1; rooting & flashing custom ROMs were pulse-racing thrill rides; and things generally worked. If they didn't, it's okay: wipe data, restore nandroid backup, reboot. I've beta tested firmware for years on my primary (and only) phone and never really had the trouble this one is giving users. If this beta is any indication of the timeline for the Android 14 general release, I would advise S23 owners to not hold their breath. This could take awhile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones