• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update to 2.1 rolling out 6/28

I don't know if what we were told today gives credence to this rumor or not...But we were told today by Tmo Customer Loyalty that there *is* an update being rolled out to the Behold 2! They actually said NEXT week.

According to the rep, this update is supposed to address all of the current issues. Now, for those of us who suffered through the last so-called update, we know that it was excruciating to say the least and in my case did absolutely nothing to fix or address the laundry list of the Behold 2's issues that I was having.

Regarding the incremental update that we received, some people received it right away. Others received partial installations and repeated shut-downs. Still others waited for *weeks* after the initial group of us got the darned thing and they still hadn't gotten it.

All of this is to say that according to a T-mobile Customer Loyalty Rep, there is an update of SOME KIND coming. We don't know if it is 1.6 or what. However, it is the "No Phone Left Behind" promise that I will be watching to see if it is fulfilled. Anything less than the originally promised 2.x would IMHO, be a phone left behind.

Something is coming.

Upvote 0
Wouldnt that just be the 1.6 update? We already knew that was coming.

That is stated in the post...We've been told many things and nothing. But if you take into account the OP's assertion that it is 2.x and the recent Tmo announcement of "No Phone Left Behind"...There is a possibility that it could be greater than 1.6 (Samsung also supposedly said that the Behold 2 is incapable of 2.x - which we know is not necessarily true according to developer's opinions). So you see, those of us who have followed this from day one have a litany of things that we were told.

The bottom line is that we're getting something next week according to Tmo Customer Loyalty - THAT is the reason for the post...that there is now a projected "date range" of whatever it is that we're getting, which coincides with what the OP has said. See?

P.S. As I said, anything below 2.x is a phone left behind.

Upvote 0
Yes we are getting something next week. We are getting... 1.6!

It doesn't matter if you think anything below 2.x is a phone left behind. T-Mobile is not asking for your opinion on that.

I agree, we will most likely be getting the 1.6 update that Samsung promised (are their promises any good anymore?) with Swype and a few other enhancements thrown in to try and satisfy us.

If we do get 2.1 (unlikely), I'll be happy to admit I was wrong!

Upvote 0
Yes we are getting something next week. We are getting... 1.6!

It doesn't matter if you think anything below 2.x is a phone left behind. T-Mobile is not asking for your opinion on that.

Stay with us :rolleyes:

It was Tmo that announced "No Phone Left Behind"... If we only get 1.6 that negates the "No Phone Left Behind" promise. If so, then they need to keep their word.

The technology is at 2.2 (Froyo has been released to the Nexus One)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZYSVr2Bhc&feature=player_embedded#!

However, anything below 2.1 is not current and therefore behind. In the above video the examples are using 2.1 as its lowest OS. At 1.6 we wouldn't even be *in* this picture, LOL! I have already run into several instances of not being able to install software because it is written to 2.x and later.

They have a chance to redeem themselves from the Behold 2 Fiasco. The CEO has put his company's name on the line with this one.

Whether or not they do keep their word remains to be seen, LOL

Upvote 0
Stay with us :rolleyes:

It was SAMSUNG that announced "No Phone Left Behind"... If we only get 1.6 that negates the "No Phone Left Behind" promise. And if so, then SAMSUNG is on the line for keeping their word. While Tmo is the carrier, SAMSUNG made the promise.

The technology is at 2.2 (Froyo has been released to the Nexus One)

However, anything below 2.1 is not current and therefore behind. In the above video the examples are using 2.1 as its lowest speed. At 1.6 we wouldn't even be *in* this picture, LOL! I have already run into several instances of not being able to install software because it is written to 2.x and later.

No Phone Left Behind is about Samsung. They have a chance to redeem themselves from the Behold 2 Fiasco. The CEO has put his company's name on the line with this one.

Whether or not they do keep their word remains to be seen, LOL

Where did Samsung announce No Phones Left Behind? Read the "no phones left behind" thread, it was T-Mobile that announced that.

Upvote 0
Thanks psz. We had this issue with the previous "update" when so many people had not received it or were having problems receiving it (The update would start and eventually abort. Mine finally came across when I put it in an area of the house where I got a clear 3G signal - And the battery was fully charged with the phone plugged into the wall [as opposed to the pc]). Many of us called Samsung about it only to be told that Tmo was distributing it. It was a back and forth frustrating nightmare.

The importance of Tmo in this particular case (The No Phone Left Behind promise) is that a broken promise from them might be cause to terminate the contract if you have one. In the picture on the memo, the Behold 2 is not displayed. However Tmo's CEO said "no phone" left behind. And IMHO, we probably stand a better chance of this promise being kept because it came from Tmo. Remember the previous video where we were promised the 2.x update to the Behold 2 was removed (we'll simply say that their logo cannot be used by just ANYBODY - this implies a corporate sanction since the video also shows the same "Samsung Mobile" rep as in their other videos. And the timing of the removal of the video was "curious"). Tmo has made a promise. Let's see if they are better at keeping their word than other folks who shall remain nameless.

Upvote 0
spiz...do You. I'll do me. You do your best to dictate to spiz, that is the end of your jurisdiction.

To the adults who have had a cell phone for more than a few years, you know that various things can impact your original agreement. This would not be the first time that a corporate change opened the door for discussion of early termination of the contract. It bears watching.

Upvote 0
This new "promise" has no bearing on your current contract. You signed a contract of current terms, not things that may or may not happen in the future. This won't help your case. Give it up, this phone is getting 1.6.

True that this promise would not be actionable, but unlike Samsung, T-Mobile is a service company. They understand the value of not screwing over their customers. I'd be surprised if the BH2 ever got 2.1, but this promise might make it more likely for TMO to make offers to BH2 owners to keep them happy.

Upvote 0
True that this promise would not be actionable, but unlike Samsung, T-Mobile is a service company. They understand the value of not screwing over their customers. I'd be surprised if the BH2 ever got 2.1, but this promise might make it more likely for TMO to make offers to BH2 owners to keep them happy.

Precisely, euph_22. Tmo has thrown their hat into the ring on this for a reason. They know that customers are vehemently discussing what is going on. They are also changing leaders at Tmobile USA. Tmobile wants to stop the bleeding and this promise is evidence of that.

People underestimate the power of the media. You get enough people talking about a subject good or bad and it has impact. Never suffer in silence. Some of the people on this forum are kids whose parents are paying their way and others got their phones for free. But for those of us who paid for our phones at top dollar, we are not amused at the shabby treatment. The good thing is that we can decide to continue doing business with companies who honor our patronage or say buh-bye to those who don't. But in the latter case, I won't go quietly. Nope, sure won't.

Upvote 0
spiz...do You. I'll do me. You do your best to dictate to spiz, that is the end of your jurisdiction.

To the adults who have had a cell phone for more than a few years, you know that various things can impact your original agreement. This would not be the first time that a corporate change opened the door for discussion of early termination of the contract. It bears watching.

You're assuming that I'm not an adult because I understand how contracts work? I don't understand your logic. Or are you presuming that I'm crazy and make this stuff up?

Anyways, I'm just letting you know what I've found out from my experiences with TMobile specifically. When I asked customer loyalty about the terms of my contract, and whether or not the lack of an update could terminate my contract, they said that when you sign a contract, it is based on the current state of the phone.

I knew that would be their answer because I know that's how contracts work. Now, had their CEO came out and said something more concrete and specific, such as "Every one of our phones will receive 2.1 at the very least..." or something to that effect, then yes, this would be a completely different topic.

"No phone left behind" is very vague, and for all we know, that could mean "No phone will be left on 1.5." Do you see what I'm saying now?

There's no point in getting our hopes up over something that won't happen. That's all.

Upvote 0
You're assuming that I'm not an adult because I understand how contracts work? I don't understand your logic. Or are you presuming that I'm crazy and make this stuff up?

Anyways, I'm just letting you know what I've found out from my experiences with TMobile specifically. When I asked customer loyalty about the terms of my contract, and whether or not the lack of an update could terminate my contract, they said that when you sign a contract, it is based on the current state of the phone.

I knew that would be their answer because I know that's how contracts work. Now, had their CEO came out and said something more concrete and specific, such as "Every one of our phones will receive 2.1 at the very least..." or something to that effect, then yes, this would be a completely different topic.

"No phone left behind" is very vague, and for all we know, that could mean "No phone will be left on 1.5." Do you see what I'm saying now?

There's no point in getting our hopes up over something that won't happen. That's all.

You can GOOGLE the 411 on contractual loopholes. I for one have seen several instances where a company changed or implemented something and it impacted an original agreement. It happens all the time. Please tell me that you didn't ask *them* to interpret your agreement for you? That's like letting the fox guard the hen house. If the MyTouch is upgraded then they have to upgrade the Behold 2 to keep their word.

And "no phone" is not vague unless one doesn't understand English. It does not say "no phone EXCEPT"...It says NO PHONE left behind. Period. His words, not mine. It doesn't get more concrete than that.

Regarding this issue. We will know very soon what we'll be getting one way or the other. I am simply noting that if the technology is at 2.1 and 2.2 has been released to at least one phone (Nexus One in this case); That a phone at less than 2.1 is behind. And at six months old is at its end of life, with a "no phone left behind" promise hanging over it.

Will Tmo keep its CEO's promise of "No phone left behind?" We will see. The CEO's reputation is on the line.

Upvote 0
The CEO's reputation is on the line.

I highly doubt that... what will you do when this blows over and no one cares about the BH2 anymore?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be proven wrong. I just don't see a lot of reality to this situation considering Samsung has to create the update before TMo can do anything. And if no one has the balls to take this to court, it's going to die just like the fiasco that the video "promising" 2.0 created.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt that... what will you do when this blows over and no one cares about the BH2 anymore?

Who gives a fig about what you doubt? I am a Behold 2 owner. And until I get the situation resolved I will keep the light on the situation. As to what I will do? I will keep on living and making sure that I don't sit idly by while getting screwed. And as to what you do? Frankly Scarlett...

I don't know what planet you're on but in my world, a man's word means something. If this CEO's word is meaningless then people need to know about it.

And you are *so* wrong about what has happened here. All of this "NO Phone Left Behind" business and Samsung removing that video are a DIRECT result of the tumult that was created in this forum and elsewhere via letters, phone calls and especially online postings. Don't get it twisted.

Upvote 0
a fix to this issue, is Tmobile can only force customer to obligated 6mos contract instead of a 2 years as required. Is this make sense? Any lawyer out there?

You can GOOGLE the 411 on contractual loopholes. I for one have seen several instances where a company changed or implemented something and it impacted an original agreement. It happens all the time. Please tell me that you didn't ask *them* to interpret your agreement for you? That's like letting the fox guard the hen house. If the MyTouch is upgraded then they have to upgrade the Behold 2 to keep their word.

And "no phone" is not vague unless one doesn't understand English. It does not say "no phone EXCEPT"...It says NO PHONE left behind. Period. His words, not mine. It doesn't get more concrete than that.

Regarding this issue. We will know very soon what we'll be getting one way or the other. I am simply noting that if the technology is at 2.1 and 2.2 has been released to at least one phone (Nexus One in this case); That a phone at less than 2.1 is behind. And at six months old is at its end of life, with a "no phone left behind" promise hanging over it.

Will Tmo keep its CEO's promise of "No phone left behind?" We will see. The CEO's reputation is on the line.

Upvote 0
hope it works out for ya.

I'll file that alongside the Samsung promise video. No credence in either one.

As to what phone I am interested in. It is none of the kiddie phones that Tmo currently has on the market. My Behold 2 as Tmo's top-of-the-line Android, was purchased to replace my Blackberry World Edition business class phone. The B2 fails miserably. It rebooted spontaneously 3 times today...and this is the *replacement* :rolleyes:

Since you say you got twice what you paid for your phone, you clearly didn't pay much for it, IF anything at all. Those who did pay full price in December have more at stake (Most did not pay $229 to have the phone be at its end of life in 6 months). Nevertheless, my problem is solved. If this update doesn't fix my phone's problems, I get a new phone.

Our conversation today though, was about the "no phone left behind" promise. Which addresses whether we will be Behind vs Current after the "update." That's all. We will see what happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones