• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Update to 2.3.340 easily!

bouchigo

Android Expert
Aug 10, 2010
Stockton, CA
EDIT 1/30/11:

Coming from ANY non-blur based ROM and doing Maderstcok is guaranteed to bootloop due to mismatch in framework without a data/cache wipe.

End EDIT

I just saw this over at xda and droid x forums and figured this would help a lot of people out.

Update to 2.3.340 without sbf'ing.

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

icon6.png

None are responsible for your phone but you.

After a bit of work I've created an update.zip for you guys that want a fresh install of 2.3.340 without sbfing.

This is the
FULL, OTA 2.3.340 - contains radio, kernel, and all other updates, even those EXCLUDED by the 2.3.340 system only sbf.

What that means is that if you have 2.3.15, 2.3.151, or 2.3.320 you're one update.zip away from the OTA 2.3.340
smile.png

This is useful in many ways:

• You want stock .340 but didn't create a nandroid backup
  • Can't OTA (modded phone)
  • Get ready for an OTA
  • Remove Root
  • Add bloat back
  • Re-Odex
  • Your phone is acting weird on the update
  • Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • You don't want to flash 5 update.zips or sbf to update your phone
  • etc.
This will format your system data (helps prevents bootloops - not 100%) and system (in case a rom put some apps in the /system/app) partitions and also changes the boot image to the stock moto M (to fix the Tranquility boot logo - something even an SBF won't fix).

As always, make a backup and I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone.

Download
the file here and place it on your sdcard:

Instructions:

1. Using the Droid X Bootstrapper make a backup. (more information here)
  2. Browse (using volume buttons) to "install zip from sdcard" and select it with the camera button.
  3. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
  4. Select "maderstcok340.zip"
  5. Confirm the install.
  6. Be patient, wait for the install to finish.
  7. Reboot the Droid X. DO NOTHING ELSE IN CLOCKWORKMOD!!!!!!!
  8. Activate the phone with VZW (more instructions below).
If you attempt to create a backup or flash a rom post maderstcok installation you're going to have a paperweight. This seems to be because maderstcok removes root and the clockworkmod recovery area, so it doesn't like you playing around in there. Re-root and reinstall the bootstrapper, then create a backup or flash a new rom, DON'T DO IT BEFORE REBOOTING THE DX AFTER ISNTALL.

Formatting Data and Cache is
optional; however, if you want a really clean install do so. If you factory reset you'll be forced to activate the phone automatically while if you don't you'll have to follow the quick and dirty activation instructions below - the choice is ultimately yours.

Quick and dirty instructions for activation:

1. Dial *228
  2. Press 1
  3. Enter last 4 of primary acct holder's SSN
  4. Wait - more in depth instructions in a link further down.

This can take some time, especially on the two system installs and the radio install. Don't battery pull unless you want a brick.

The file won't flash properly if you have a botched download - this seems to be caused by the size of the file. Please check your file size before flashing:

Size: 284.7 MB (298481300 bytes)

MD5: ce7122280eafad4a39ba7fefeb764bf5

My free filehosters sometimes .zip the .zip - it looks like maderstcok340.zip.zip

Just unzip once and check the md5 to make sure it checks out - if not, redownload. Don't try to flash the .zip.zip without unzipping it once!

You'll have to activate your phone again after the install. See
this for additional help.

If you encounter any problems during the flashing process follow standard ROM installation troubleshooting (i.e. battery pull, factory reset, etc.)

A lot of this stuff is from Team Black Hat - I did pull some of my own phone files too - but if you're looking to donate, please hit them up. Without them we'd be up a creek. Tell 'em I sent ya
wink.png

One final note - z4root seems to work flawlessly after flashing this file. Just thought I'd throw that in there...

Enjoy!

EDIT: Currently number 1 google search result for 2.3.340 update.zip - thanks to everyone for your support!

Great find, thanks to you. I just sbf'ed to .340 about an hour ago. Wished I would have seen this then!

Ok so just to clarify... this can be used no matter if you're on .315, .320, or even .340 and just want a clean slate, correct?

Yup, it should work for you. Check out post #57:

Upvote 0
does this do a fully factory reset, and make your phone 100% stock, or should you SBF to .320 before you update it for 100% stock?

It's intent is to do a full factory reset after applying this, otherwise you would not be able to get the next OTA update (presumably GB, but who knows).

It says what it does in the very first post:

• Get ready for an OTA
  • Remove Root
  • Add bloat back
  • Re-Odex
  • Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • etc.

Upvote 0
According to the instructions we don't have to, but I read on the threat something about renaming the file to update.zip. Do we have to rename it?

No you don't have to rename it, and probably should not rename it. I kind of skimmed through that thread and I believe they were saying that renaming the file changes the MD5 checksum, and that the update will not work.

Reactions: Batbriel
Upvote 0
I just saw this over at xda and droid x forums and figured this would help a lot of people out.

Update to 2.3.340 without sbf'ing.

icon6.png

None are responsible for your phone but you.

After a bit of work I've created an update.zip for you guys that want a fresh install of 2.3.340 without sbfing.

This is the
FULL, OTA 2.3.340 - contains radio, kernel, and all other updates, even those EXCLUDED by the 2.3.340 system only sbf.

What that means is that if you have 2.3.15, 2.3.151, or 2.3.320 you're one update.zip away from the OTA 2.3.340
smile.png

• Get ready for an OTA
  • Remove Root
  • Add bloat back
  • Re-Odex
  • Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • etc.
This will format your system data (helps prevents bootloops - not 100%) and system (in case a rom put some apps in the /system/app) partitions and also changes the boot image to the stock moto M (to fix the Tranquility boot logo - something even an SBF won't fix).

As always, make a backup and I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone.

Download
the file here and place it on your sdcard:

Instructions:

1. Using the Droid X Bootstrapper make a backup. (more information here)
  2. Browse (using volume buttons) to "install zip from sdcard" and select it with the camera button.
  3. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
  4. Select "maderstcok340.zip"
  5. Confirm the install.
  6. Be patient, wait for the install to finish.
  7. Reboot the Droid X. DO NOTHING ELSE IN CLOCKWORKMOD!!!!!!!
  8. Activate the phone with VZW (more instructions below).
If you attempt to create a backup or flash a rom post maderstcok installation you're going to have a paperweight. This seems to be because maderstcok removes root and the clockworkmod recovery area, so it doesn't like you playing around in there. Re-root and reinstall the bootstrapper, then create a backup or flash a new rom, DON'T DO IT BEFORE REBOOTING THE DX AFTER ISNTALL.

Formatting Data and Cache is
optional; however, if you want a really clean install do so. If you factory reset you'll be forced to activate the phone automatically while if you don't you'll have to follow the quick and dirty activation instructions below - the choice is ultimately yours.

Quick and dirty instructions for activation:

1. Dial *228
  2. Press 1
  3. Enter last 4 of primary acct holder's SSN
  4. Wait - more in depth instructions in a link further down.

This can take some time, especially on the two system installs and the radio install. Don't battery pull unless you want a brick.

The file won't flash properly if you have a botched download - this seems to be caused by the size of the file. Please check your file size before flashing:

Size: 284.7 MB (298481300 bytes)

MD5: ce7122280eafad4a39ba7fefeb764bf5

My free filehosters sometimes .zip the .zip - it looks like maderstcok340.zip.zip

Just unzip once and check the md5 to make sure it checks out - if not, redownload. Don't try to flash the .zip.zip without unzipping it once!

You'll have to activate your phone again after the install. See
this for additional help.

If you encounter any problems during the flashing process follow standard ROM installation troubleshooting (i.e. battery pull, factory reset, etc.)

A lot of this stuff is from Team Black Hat - I did pull some of my own phone files too - but if you're looking to donate, please hit them up. Without them we'd be up a creek. Tell 'em I sent ya
wink.png

One final note - z4root seems to work flawlessly after flashing this file. Just thought I'd throw that in there...

Enjoy!

EDIT: Currently number 1 google search result for 2.3.340 update.zip - thanks to everyone for your support!

Bravo!

Upvote 0
Ok I tried this out tonight. You have to be very careful to do it right. Then, for me and for GMB, it got stuck in a bootloop. If that happens you have to do a factory recovery data wipe (hold power button and home key down), then you're golden.

Understand that this has to be done right. ...or else.. Even then you're prolly gonna bootloop, but you'll be fine after you do a reset.

Upvote 0
okay so I am super freaking out b/c I have done this and it worked with the exception that in place of the 3G status icon I have a blue triangle and can not connect to anything. wifi works but no 3G. and I could have sworn I did a back-up before hand but apparently it didn't work. AND to make things worse this isn't even my phone and the person will be here tomorrow to pick it up. what the hell did I do and how do I fix this? I've never even seen this icon before. help please!

Upvote 0
okay so I am super freaking out b/c I have done this and it worked with the exception that in place of the 3G status icon I have a blue triangle and can not connect to anything. wifi works but no 3G. and I could have sworn I did a back-up before hand but apparently it didn't work. AND to make things worse this isn't even my phone and the person will be here tomorrow to pick it up. what the hell did I do and how do I fix this? I've never even seen this icon before. help please!

Dial *228 and choose option 1 to reprogram the phone.

Upvote 0
Dial *228 and choose option 1 to reprogram the phone.

that would've been to easy. I'm a dude. I have to freak out, not wait for a reply, think i have a solution, and really mess everything up. So yeah I freaked, thought if I tried flashing the TBH update from a couple days ago that everything might be okay and it looked to install a-okay, then after the motorola logo I get a black screen saying:

Bootloader
Err:A5,69,35,00,27

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

(when I plug in USB cable it does not show on the computer but after where it says OK to Program it now says Transfer Mode: USB

Any clues?? And this time I PROMISE to wait for a reply!

***********UPDATE*******
I SBFed it and it worked! so I redid the update and followed complete instructions this time. Lesson learned!

Upvote 0
oops - you bricked yourself, please read the full instructions man...

and as for bootloops, the consensus on the street seems to be that coming from any non-blur rom will cause bootloops due to inconsistencies in the framework. if you're just updating or wiping your phone because you want to clean your /system you'll be ok. Might want to change OP - this is how I've edited my post:

EDIT: coming from ANY non-blur based ROM and doing Maderstcok is guaranteed to bootloop due to mismatch in framework without a data/cache wipe

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones