1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Update to android 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mplataniotis, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mplataniotis

mplataniotis Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I would like to ask a question. I own an HTC Wildfire that was originally on 3 network. Recently I had it unlocked in a local shop. I believe though that the phone is still branded to 3 because when it boots up is shows their logo. The phone has android 2.1 and when I turn wifi on it finds the update to 2.2. Now the question is if I update to 2.2 will it lock down again? I wonder if anyone has come up with that. I would like to point out that I do not wish to debrand the phone, I would only like to know for sure if it is ok to proceed with the update without of course locking the phone.

Thnx

Advertisement

2. ephbee

ephbee Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 31, 2010
    perth, australia
    i don't think it would, but at the very least it will load up carriers bloatware (specific carrier apps) that you will be unable to use.
    i know you don't want to debrand, but have you thought of rooting your phone and flashing a custom rom instead, while you have the chance to being on 2.1.
    it's a reasonably easy process to do, and there are plenty of custom froyo rom's available and cm7 is a 2.3 gingerbread rom.
    you get a bit more functionality with custom roms and you wouldn't have useless carrier apps that can't be used tying up internal memory:)

3. praven

praven Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Hi
    What does it mean to 'root' the phone? I have seen this term used in a few forum posts but cannot see what it means exactly.
    Cheers
    Paul

Tags: